Contacting HMRC

I am having huge problems trying to get through to HMRC to talk about my tax.
I get through the voice responses after 5mins only to then be told “we are too busy to take your call now, goodbye” and they then hang up on me! Unbelievable! And the calls aren’t free!
Does anybody have any ways around this useless setup?

Comments

• Remember this thread when you come to vote at the next general election.

But in the short term the usual suggestion on here is to try just before 8 in the morning.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Saturday morning even better.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Even better put it in writing & then you get their answer in writing as the telephone ones are not always to be trusted & then they deny.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Remember this thread when you come to vote at the next general election.

I don't recall any of our local candidates including "giving HMRC a kick up the bum" in their manifestos.
  • chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    It would get my vote if they did!
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
  • And once you get through, play nice. It's not the call-handler's fault, so don't take your frustrations out on them.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And once you get through, play nice. It's not the call-handler's fault, so don't take your frustrations out on them.

Definitely agree with this, it is their training that is at fault as with any call centre. But you will never prove it unless you put it in writing. If there is a problem the recording of your call will not exist. Even though all calls are recorded for "you to be right royally scr***d over as it suits us".
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    It is nothing to do with the call handler or their training that the phones are busy and the OP cannot get through, hence the statement to 'play nice'.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They make so many mistakes, a huge amount of the calls will be repeat calls by people having to phone back when previous calls haven't solved their problem or made things worse. If the call handlers didn't make mistakes and did what they say they'll do, the number of calls would plummet as people wouldn't have to keep ringing back.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Dont want to wait on the phone, sign up for the Personal Tax Account at Gov. uk.

You may well find your problem can be resolved online within a few minutes.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport