Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robbsafc
    • By robbsafc 19th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    • 71Posts
    • 14Thanks
    robbsafc
    ese Free Solar PV Health Check?
    • 19th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    ese Free Solar PV Health Check? 19th Nov 17 at 11:06 AM
    I received a letter from a company called "ese" (Company Number 09825685) . They are supposedly offering a free solar health check and service on my system. I presume my details are on some database somewhere as I had solar panels installed in 2011. Having googled there is not a lot of information around regarding this company. I checked Companies House and they appear to be a consultancy firm.
    Has anyone encountered this? I am skeptical as to me there must be a catch somewhere to make it worthwhile for the company.

Rob
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 33,193 Posts
    • 39,116 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 19th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 19th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    I'm assuming it's

Sharp intake of breath " who fitted these " , " you realise these are very inefficient " etc etc

We can fit new ones at a discount
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 19th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    ..or..

you need a new inverter..
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 19th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 19th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    "Servicing" is get up on the roof and clean the panels. Usually involves scaffold. I doubt they will do that.

Are they generating pretty much the same this year as they did last year (from your FIT meter readings)? If so everything is working.

My bet is they are going to try and sell you some form of "optimiser" to increase the output from them. I don't know if these work, I suspect any improvement might be marginal, but I am getting fed up with the phone calls trying to sell me one. The call usually starts as a "free survey"
    • reeac
    • By reeac 19th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    reeac
    • 19th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    I just tell these callers that the output of PV system hasn't changed at all during the 5 plus years that we've had them (which is perfectly true) and that puts them off. Pity that there are so many hucksters around nowadays .... I guess that it's all due to the deindustrialisation of the country.
    • Dallinghoo
    • By Dallinghoo 6th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dallinghoo
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    ESE PV inverter check
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    If anyone hears anything good about this company, we would be interested to hear it.
    • tonypows
    • By tonypows 6th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tonypows
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    ESE Company No: 09825685
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    I have today received a letter stating "Our records indicate you haven't received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire".
    The letter then goes onto to talk about the advances in technology of inverters. So I guess they're trying to flog me a new inverter.

I've found on the web ESE Solar from Liverpool.
    My Solar installer was in Modbury Devon and I reside in Saltash Cornwall.
    Obviously this is a scam!
    Regards
    Tony
    • reeac
    • By reeac 6th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    reeac
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    I have today received a letter stating "Our records indicate you haven't received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire".
    The letter then goes onto to talk about the advances in technology of inverters. So I guess they're trying to flog me a new inverter.

I've found on the web ESE Solar from Liverpool.
    My Solar installer was in Modbury Devon and I reside in Saltash Cornwall.
    Obviously this is a scam!
    Regards
    Tony
    Originally posted by tonypows
    A scam? From Liverpool? No way.
    • misslaurajaynejones
    • By misslaurajaynejones 7th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    misslaurajaynejones
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    If anyone hears anything good about this company, we would be interested to hear it.
    Originally posted by Dallinghoo
    Hi i have my cover with them never had a problem been out done the service and my inverter had broken down which they replaced under the cover great service highly recommended
    • misslaurajaynejones
    • By misslaurajaynejones 7th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    misslaurajaynejones
    i have my cover with ESE i find them very good they have been out and serviced my solar also why under cover with them my inverter broken down they were out with in 24 hrs and replaced it with a new one at no extra cost because i am under the maintenance cover very reliable and professional service highly recommend them cant say a bad word about them hope this helps
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 7th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 4,535 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    ...and you signed up especially to tell us this?

• geriann
    • By geriann 7th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    geriann
    Ese
    I also received a letter from ESE saying "our records indicate you haven't received your free health check & service on your system & your warranty may be due to expire."
    I don't have any solar panels! so i don't know where they got this information from!
    the letter only says ESE, the free number & the company number. No address, website or email address. Strange, so probably dodgy.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 8th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 19,549 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Hi i have my cover with them never had a problem been out done the service and my inverter had broken down which they replaced under the cover great service highly recommended
    Originally posted by misslaurajaynejones
    i have my cover with ESE i find them very good they have been out and serviced my solar also why under cover with them my inverter broken down they were out with in 24 hrs and replaced it with a new one at no extra cost because i am under the maintenance cover very reliable and professional service highly recommend them cant say a bad word about them hope this helps
    Originally posted by misslaurajaynejones
    2 posts in 4 minutes that tell much the same. As pointed out by Andy_WSM you also signed up just to tell us this?
    How long have you had a policy with this company?
    So what prey tell did you so called service consist of?
    What was the fault on the inverter?
    Whats seems the strangest to me is this company has been around for a couple of years. Never filed a full set of accounts. Move directors around companies left right and centre and move company address around between the same group of companies!

Something not right here?
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 8th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 19,549 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Just taken this snip it from the testimonial on the company website!

At the beginning of November Jonathan fitted the new inverter and PV Plus Optimiser and immediately we began generating. What a relief!

Added a PV Plus Optimiser!

£199 a year or £19.99 a month.

http://eseservices.co.uk/

Have a look and see what you think.
    • stewart54
    • By stewart54 8th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stewart54
    Unsolicited letter from ESE
    In the last few days my cousin received a letter from ESE stating that "our records indicate you haven't received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire". My cousin had her solar panel system installed by British Gas some years ago and has never had any dealings with ESE. We wonder where this company got my cousin's name and address and think it is a bit off that she should get this unsolicited approach from ESE. We intend to pass the letter to our local trading standards department as we are concerned that, potentially, this company may involved in very inappropriate practices, resulting in vulnerable people being conned.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 5,909 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    Hengus
    In the last few days my cousin received a letter from ESE stating that "our records indicate you haven't received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire". My cousin had her solar panel system installed by British Gas some years ago and has never had any dealings with ESE. We wonder where this company got my cousin's name and address and think it is a bit off that she should get this unsolicited approach from ESE. We intend to pass the letter to our local trading standards department as we are concerned that, potentially, this company may involved in very inappropriate practices, resulting in vulnerable people being conned.
    Originally posted by stewart54
    Google Earth ( to see the panels); Street View( to work out an address) and a check of The Electoral Register ( to get a name) would probably work. Unsolicited approaches are not as far as I am aware illegal. I got ‘letters’ from Homeserve; TalkTalk and my local takeaway this morning. They all go into the re-cycling bin.
    • Mark Caton
    • By Mark Caton 9th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mark Caton
    Hi All,

First post on here and I joined because of these letters from a company ESE. Firstly please let me explain I am an electrical contractor and also a MCS accredited installer for Solar PV under the NICEIC.

I received a letter as detailed above regarding health check and service of my own PV system. Please let me assure you all this is not a requirement and unless your system is having problems or failed there is no need to amend, alter or replace any component within it.

The letter I received today states that "their records"? They will have none as they did not install my system, I did!

I am sure many people receiving this letter will be concerned and in some cases the original installer will no longer be in business (Thank the governments total lack of judgment in handling the feed in tariff for that) but like me some will still be in business. I welcome all my clients to contact me when ever they feel there is or could be a problem and I will attend free of charge for as long as they want me to. Im sure I am not alone in offering this service.

It is very unlikely there is anything wrong with your PV system unless you have been having problems from the start of the installation. Most PV systems need little to no maintenance and even panel cleaning is to be conducted only when necessary.

There is no need to change the wiring from series to parallel and fit micro inverters to every panel (unless you want to of course) but why spend more money on the system and loose some if not all of the benefit of the feed in tariff? (another letter and cold call doing the rounds)

If you are in any doubt regarding your own system or think its worth having someone throw an eye over it then do your research. It is a buyer beware situation unfortunately. Call around friends or neighbours who have had systems and get word of mouth recommendations. These are by far the best and something money cannot buy. (we only work from word of mouth recommendations)

Search the MCS data base for installers in your area and look into the company. Not just their flashy website but research them. See if they are members of other trade organisations. Electricians are best at this (but I would say that!) Many of these companies touting for work are sales teams not engineers. Call more than one company in to look, get a second opinion. if they differ question why. If they both agree then maybe something is wrong?

Solar PV isn't new technology nor is it a secret hand shake club. There are some fantastic installers out there who have been tarred with the same brush as the rouge traders and its not the case by far.

I hope you can all see my point and I also hope Ive gone someway into raising the issue of cold call sales in this field. On a side note we are based in Norfolk. (Just incase anyone asks)
    • sherbert
    • By sherbert 14th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sherbert
    Hi Everyone,
    Agree with everything Mark said. I'm an installer in Devon and just had two of my customers phone me to say that they have had letters from ESE. They guessed it was rubbish but rang to check. If you get a letter anything like this I suggest you either just bin it or speak to your installer. If your installer is no longer in business speak to another local installer. There are plenty of good guys out there but also many cowboys so beware.
    • ewan uzarmi
    • By ewan uzarmi 14th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ewan uzarmi
    I just received the ESE "health check" letter and the fact that it was addressed to "Homeowner" rather than myself immediately triggered my scam alarm. If they don't know who lives here their "records" must be pretty sketchy and they obviously don't know the age of my system or the fact that I already have cover. The whole letter is amateurish, lacks company information and doesn't even include a website address. What really put me off was the inclusion of a "grocer's apostrophe" in the word "consultant's" which is most unprofessional and indicative to me of a shoddy organisation.

I don't know how these people harvest likely addresses to pester but I don't think it's as simple as browsing Google Earth as Hengus suggests. My installation doesn't appear on Earth yet, it's 2 years old and Earth evidently hasn't been updated since. They obviously don't check the electoral register either, at least in my case, as they don't know my name.

Mark Caton may be able to correct me but I don't think inverters have advanced significantly in the 2 years since installation of my PV system as the letter is trying to suggest. With no moving parts in the system, I can't see that there is much to "service". My panels occasionally get a manual clean when the seagulls have used them as a toilet but I can do this myself as I live in a bungalow and can reach the panels with a long handled soft brush and garden hose from my garage roof.
    • In Cider
    • By In Cider 14th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    In Cider
    Businesses can actually access the MCS database and obtain details of premises fitted with PV installations. Doesnt give them the installation owners name, so they would have to trawl the electoral roll or similar to obtain that.

Or they could just drive round an area and note the addresses where solar panels are fitted.

The MCS database is administered by a company called Gemserv, when an installation company goes into liquidation they will appoint another company to cover warranty issues etc. So an installation owner doesnt need to go out looking for one. That was part of the government requirements for the MCS Scheme.

Gemserv can be contacted on 020 7090 1082

Also useful for fit customers or indeed anyone with panels turbines etc there is a guide on who to complain or raise disputes with for various issues that people may have, cant post the link but if you search on gov,uk website for feed-in-tariffs-dispute-resolution-process
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin