Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 7th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 81Thanks
    woodfired
    Light the fire...
    • 7th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    Light the fire... 7th Nov 17 at 7:50 PM
    Hi All

After lurking for a few years and having been inspired by lots of the amazing stories on this board I have decided that its time to join in and post my (our) journey.

I am a mum of two (DD is 8, DS is 3) and have been married to my lovely DH for 10 years.
    We moved into our current house 4 years ago. We paid 150k for it and spent around 85k re-modelling and extending. Its now valued at around 300k with a mortgage of 135 900 outstanding, current term is 22 years 5 months. TBH the mortgage is only this high as we released 100k of equity to purchase a business 7 years ago. Said business is still going strong but there are changes afoot which I will explain later.

Anyway the plan is to attempt to pay of the mortgage and business loan (83k) in 10 years so that we can both work part time in our little shop and enjoy a bit more freedom. I think this target is realistic but hope to shave even more off this timeframe with the help of you lovely people!

Thanks for reading
    Woodfired.x
Page 3
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 1st Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    woodfired
    Ventured out to our shop for cat food, ended up helping out serving for an hour as it was so busy! The village is virtually snowed in so everybody is relying on us for supplies! Thankfully our main order made it through as did our local butchers with the sausage delivery, however, it's not looking too promising for the bread delivery which is the main thing people want in the snow!

Back home now in the warm, all fed including Puss Cat. No work for me at all today, too dangerous to drive. Contemplating making some bread to dunk in the stew later but do have a large baguette that needs eating plus potatoes and dumplings in the stew so probably ok for carbs . I think its the weather, it makes me want to hunker down and bake/cook and then eat it all......
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 7th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    woodfired
    What a difference a week makes in terms of the weather! A mild spring-like day here so I have taken advantage and just completed a 5.5 mile walk/jog around the hills. Tired now but feeling better for it and hopefully this will kick start my "lose 1st" resolution.

Lots of financials happening at the moment. I completed my VAT return this morning to find we are due a refund of almost 1500 which was a lovely surprise.
    The CC statement is in, hotel was within a pound of my calculations (paid in Euros) so all budgeted for and ready to be paid in full next week. I have also paid my PAYE and sent some money to the parent pay account for school lunches etc. This only leaves the accountant to pay and we are totally up to date on everything bar the flights for summer (on my 0% CC). I will start to chip away at the flights over the next few weeks and start saving some spending money too. Feeling very positive though at the moment on the money front.

I kept the food shopping really low this week as I wanted to use up some stocks. I used a pack of YS mince in cottage pie on Sunday ready for Mon/Tue dinners when straight in from work. One portion left over too for lunch tomorrow. I have also just used up a jar of Thai red curry sauce that has been sat in the cupboard for months. Popped it in a pan with a jar full of water, some veg and frozen white fish and prawns. Bunged in some noodles that had been lounging in the cupboard (with the sauce ) and some soy sauce and its made a lovely curry soupy thing perfect to warm me up after my long walk. Loads left too for tomorrow.

Might just go and make an OP
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 8th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    woodfired
    What a difference a day makes! A completely unexpected snow day today. Set off to work at 7.30am, travelled about 3 miles in 1hr20 then word came through that only 4 members of staff had made it into school so we had to closed. Happily my childrens school is open so a lovely peaceful day to start the weekend.

So I have spent a bit of time staring at the mortgage account, willing the figures to drop sadly, they are not for budging on their own so I sent 270 to the account to round it down to 132500. Scrolled back and noticed that the mortgage stood at over 140 000 this time last year so we are doing OK, despite having a 6 month break from OPing in that time.

I am going to try to round down the figure each month so that we are paying exactly 1000 off the balance every month. Our regular payment is about 618 and then interest is around 200 so this needs an OP of about 582 ish depending on how many days in that month. Fingers crossed I can keep it up.
    In my dreams I would also love to save enough to be able to pay off sub-account 2 when the fix ends in April next year. It currently stands at just over 13k and will probably be around the 11.5k mark by next April and is on a much higher rate (3.69%) than the rest of the mortgage. To clear this would be amazing but is probably unrealistic, especially as DH is hinting strongly that he would like to buy a motorhome next year (apparently it will 'save us money' ). We will see.

Hope everybody is warm and safe from the "Pest from the West" seriously, who comes up with these names???
    • woodfired
    • By woodfired 27th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    woodfired
    Wow, I am terrible at maintaining this diary!!

In fairness though, a lot has been going on. We got a phone call at 4am last Saturday morning from the police to say that they were in the shop and we had been broken in to. Three theives had wrenched off some metal drainpipe and used that and a large rock to break down the door. The made off with the till containing some cash but caused thousands of pounds of damage in the process .

Needless to say last week was then spent trying to put right all the damage and get quotes and invoices together for the repairs to the door, floor, chillers, electrics etc. Nightmare.

The insurance is not yet sorted as still waiting on some invoices so a chunk has been paid by us in the meantime leaving us, once again, feeling hard up .

So in financial news, not much to report. Hopefully the insurance money will come through quickly and we can move on from it. One positive has been that it has forced my hand on the till upgrade we were planning. Sooo glad we held off now as i would have been spitting mad if they had taken a brand new EPOS till!! We had a fancy till delivered yesterday, it looks a lot of work to set up but should be watertight in terms of not allowing a single item to leave the premises without me knowing about it, this is important as our staff work alone and although I do trust all of them, it can be too tempting for some people not to just 'forget' to scan an odd item. It will also speed up the ordering process hugely once all set up which takes hours currently.

Hope everyone here is well and looking forward to a relaxing Easter weekend.

Woodfired.x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,532Posts Today

7,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin