Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • miniloopie
    • By miniloopie 12th Oct 07, 10:58 AM
    • 130Posts
    • 67Thanks
    miniloopie
    What's your best OS moneysaving tip?
    • 12th Oct 07, 10:58 AM
    What's your best OS moneysaving tip? 12th Oct 07 at 10:58 AM
    Having learned a lot from the OS board over the last few weeks I was wondering, if you had to pick one OS moneysaving tip that's been a real help to you, what would it be?

I'm on a mission to save save save so any tips are most welcome... my personal best tip has to be menu planning! I think that over the weeks that has definitely saved me a LOT of money... and made me think about making more HM goodies...

Come on then, what are your best tips!?

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 11-12-2007 at 7:09 PM.
Page 1
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 12th Oct 07, 11:23 AM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 12,875 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    • 12th Oct 07, 11:23 AM
    • 12th Oct 07, 11:23 AM
    Finding out the time that your usual supermarket puts out the reduced for quick sale items, and what time of day do they reduce even the reduced prices. Has saved me a fortune in recent years. Only yesterday, my husband popped into Tesco and found a 6.60 pack of duck breast reduced to one pound! Guess what luxury we will be enjoying for Sunday lunch?!
  • miserly_mum
    • 12th Oct 07, 12:52 PM
    • 12th Oct 07, 12:52 PM
    The realization that our clothes were just as clean using 1 wash tablet instead of 2.
    Might not sound like much but there were 8 of us to wash for, usually 3-4 loads per day.
    Makes quite a saving over the year
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
    • miniloopie
    • By miniloopie 12th Oct 07, 1:20 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    miniloopie
    • 12th Oct 07, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Oct 07, 1:20 PM
    Excellent tips - its amazing how small changes like the washing powder tabs can make a big difference over time...

I love checking out the reduced items bit in our local Tesco - though I do usually do our food shopping online to avoid temptation!
    • morganb
    • By morganb 12th Oct 07, 1:24 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    morganb
    • 12th Oct 07, 1:24 PM
    • 12th Oct 07, 1:24 PM
    That you really can suggest to people to bring a plate instead of a present to a child's party .. let's hope it catches on!
    That's Numberwang!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 12th Oct 07, 1:31 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 12th Oct 07, 1:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 07, 1:31 PM
    Hi miniloopie,

There are some great moneysaving tips on this older thread:

Great Tips...One liners

Pink
    • morganb
    • By morganb 12th Oct 07, 1:46 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    morganb
    • 12th Oct 07, 1:46 PM
    • 12th Oct 07, 1:46 PM
    And I've just thought of another one ... keep a laundry bag in the bathroom to put all odd socks in; then periodically pair them up, I have just rediscovered 18 pairs!!!
    That's Numberwang!
  • AngelMom
    • 12th Oct 07, 8:21 PM
    • 12th Oct 07, 8:21 PM
    Has to be discovering Stardrops for me, I used to spend a small fortune of all manner of cleaning products! I recommend this to everyone.
  • Lucina
    • 12th Oct 07, 8:25 PM
    • 12th Oct 07, 8:25 PM
    To use up leftovers
    2 Savers Club joined 24/09/07, saved so far 8.00
    Change Jar Challenge start 24/09/07 23.75

October Grocery Challenge
    Week 1 23.63
    Week 2
    Week 3
    Week 4
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 12th Oct 07, 8:29 PM
    • 13,109 Posts
    • 115,329 Thanks
    lil_me
    That 1/2 or less of a washer tablet works too spoon of soda crystals and same of washing powder gets 95% of my mucky families clothes clean, only the quad biking stuff etc needs a little more sometimes.

Freezing everything, well just about, saved me a fortune

Rubber gloves to remove dog hair, saved me a fortune on those sticky back fluff grabbery things (see how technical I am )
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 250.00
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • Dazi
    • By Dazi 12th Oct 07, 9:15 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 9,106 Thanks
    Dazi
    Stardrops
    Using code from codes n voucher board for my Mr T online shop
    finally cooking from scratch again after years of not bothering! Although I have to admit it was a bit costly getting my store cupboard up to scratch - but sad to admit I get a kick out of looking at all my different herbs and spices lol
  • Olliebeak
    Measuring soap powder out instead of just tipping it into the drawer - has absolutely amazed me about how much I was over-using - gonna get myself some soda crystals in this month's shopping to try them out.

Freezing left-overs (before OH starts guzzling from the dish an hour later!).

Would LOVE to start baking again - but my oven temp is not reliable so for the time being that one will be a no-no for me. (just as well - my figure couldn't stand the strain!).

Menu planning and using my SC for stews and soups instead of buying the ASDA frozen ones for £1.50+++.

Checking the weather forecast BEFORE doing laundry - that way you can dry outside and avoid using the TD unnecessarily. (Doesn't work if you've got a large family and do 2/3 wash loads daily).

Trying to use up fruit and not throwing it out - even if you finish up with lots of stewed apples/apple sauce - mine is frozen in small batches for Christmas!

Use fleecey blankets as throws to snuggle instead of turning up the C/H thermostat!

Taken up knitting again - saving a fortune on baby items for expected DGD2.

Drying duvet covers over the landing bannister - king-size one just about fits!!
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 12th Oct 07, 11:08 PM
    • 32,245 Posts
    • 23,299 Thanks
    iwanttosave
    A microfible cloth and a bit of water is all you need to clean nearly anything.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
    • rev229
    • By rev229 12th Oct 07, 11:27 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    rev229
    Menu planning then sending my husband to tesco with the shopping list which he sticks too religiously! (mind you it is printed from the online site with pictures):rolleyes: Otherwise he would not have a clue what to buy.
    Slow cooker making batches of stuff and freezing, no ready meals for years here. Shopping at a butchers with a friend (Who works with the butchers wife)and we have had some real bargins because we can both make a meal from anything! Going to waitrose early morning or just before closing for reduced bread usually 1/2 price. Making the sunday roast last for at least 3 dinners roast sunday mondays and one contaner of meat frozen for anther time. We bought a food slicer and it is fab for making joints go a very long way.(pain to clean). Growing my own veg over summer lettuce cucumbers sweetcorn and tomatos saved a fortune. Too many tips to mention thanks to this board. The thing is it is very addictive because the more you save the more you want to save! Every penny we save is chipping away at the mortgage.
  • Peartree
    White vinegar. Washing Soda. Don't be without!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Oct 07, 7:28 AM
    • 16,405 Posts
    • 140,231 Thanks
    JackieO
    My slow cooker for almost anything,great way to use up tired looking veggies, as it will make gallons of soup for next to nothing then I freeze surplus.

Making a shopping list, and sticking to it by taking just enough cash to cover what you are buying.

Use a throw over my legs, instead of turning on central heating.Still not used it yet this autumn.

Turning off un-needed lights and always turning of T.V. ect overnight.

Walking to shops if I haven't a big shop to get.Leave car at home.With petrol at almost a fiver a gallon it's well worth it.

When buying something look at it, and figure could I do without it,and would I really use it if the answer is no then leave it unbought.

Re-use & re-cycle almost everything that's possible.

I have never owned a tumble dryer I have always dried on the line either outside or inside on the airer.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct 30.96,15 Oct 14.28 total for month 45.24,) Total end of October since Jan 307.43
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 13th Oct 07, 12:31 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 36,647 Thanks
    Fruball
    I think my favourite moneysaving tip would be to go halves on everything...

ie - Use
    HALF your usual shampoo and conditioner
    HALF your usual amount washing powder/softener
    HALF bubble bath/shower gel
    HALF dishwasher tablet/powder

Oh and I even use the tumble dryer for HALF the time as I line dry til half done then pop in the dryer as I like the softness you get from tumble drying - its my luxury for all those other money saving things I do (oh, with HALF a tumble dryer sheet )

Wherever you can use half then do - you'll find that your hair/dishes/body/clothes will still be clean and you will be spending HALF of what you used to on them

It works for me and I think DS and OH have finally got the message too

Also, spray 2 squirts of your favourite perfume in your wardrobe - all your clothes will smell lovely and you can use less perfume in the mornings perhaps HALF
    Last edited by Fruball; 13-10-2007 at 1:29 PM.
  • DebtphobicDeirdre
    Just changing your mindset to not allowing who you are to be defined by what you buy. Having a big house, fancy cars, posh clothes and glamorous holidays does not make youany better or worse a person.Once I understood this it changed my life.
    earn what you can, save what you can, give what you can
    • morganb
    • By morganb 13th Oct 07, 3:06 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    morganb
    Menu planning then sending my husband to tesco with the shopping list which he sticks too religiously! (mind you it is printed from the online site with pictures)
    Originally posted by rev229
    Bless him!
    That's Numberwang!
    • gt568
    • By gt568 13th Oct 07, 5:25 PM
    • 1,702 Posts
    • 2,860 Thanks
    gt568
    Menu planning would be mine! Thus only buying what I need.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin