Bank buying back a loan

Options
GfL
GfL Posts: 8 Forumite
My husband has a business loan and pays it back monthly as per the original contract with the bank. He also had a small private loan - separate to the business loan - and pays it back monthly.

Recently a letter arrived from a company saying they had taken over the loan and payments were to be made to them. On asking my husband what this was all about (assuming he had defaulted on repayments) he said he didn't know, he has been paying the bank by Direct Debit as set-up in the beginning - I have checked the account this is correct - eating humble pie on thinking he defaulted and didn't tell me.

I contacted the company who said the bank had sold them the loan. It became clear that the business and personal loan have been "lumped" together as one loan.
There is no number to call the bank and emails and letters have been unanswered. The company contacted the bank and, after sometime, came back to me and said the bank has stated "we sold this in error and want to buy it back so we can investigate it internally". The company, who have received no money from my husband, apologised and gave us £75 in way of compensation for writing to us although they did not have to and have been nothing but considerate and helpful unlike the bank who I still have not had a response from :mad:

I spoke with the company today and they are forwarding copies of all the paperwork of the buy-back procedure taking place between them and the bank and a transcribe of the recorded telephone conversation between them and the bank.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before ? I know I am repeating myself but the payments were being made to the bank and they have openly admitted to the company that they sold this loan in error and need to do an internal investigation!!

I'm getting stressed and frustrated

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As long as payments are being made, there's nothing to worry about. The loan was sold in error and they now need to rectify that and tidy up the admin.

£75 is a good result. Spend it wisely.
  • GfL
    Options
    Yes, the payments are being made.

Perhaps it is just me but such an error is appalling and my suspicions regarding the bank and its methods are raised when phrases such as "internal investigation" are used.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Internal investigations simply means they need to figure out what went wrong and put it right.

There's no need to fear a conspiracy of shady men in sunglasses and black sedans.
  • GfL
    Options
    OK, would be nice if they replied to my emails and said that.

Guess I have seen too many films lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport