Avoiding Embarrassment on LinkedIn

Options
I want to find a new job but need to post comments asking for advice on LinkedIn.

I am mid-career and very unhappy in my current job in Market Research. As many of my contacts on LinkedIn work for my current company, I don't want those contacts to become aware that I am looking for a new job if I post comments.

How can I make posts on the site without colleagues reading my requests for information on finding a new job?

Many thanks.

:money::money::money:

Comments

• lillie421
    Options
    I don't think there could be a way to do this. All I can think of is if you privately message people for advice rather than posting comments publicly? This way, you are still getting advice but no one will know.
  • ssparks2003
    Options
    Why do you need to ask a question in an open enviroment. You are on linkedin, you have contacts, why not target your questions directly to some of your contacts?
  • Squidger21
    Options
    There's a fairly new feature on LinkedIn where you can privately signal to recruiters that you're looking for work, although I'm not sure if that's a feature of paying for a premium account. That could definitely be worth looking at.
  • indianabones
    Options
    What you do, DO NOT post a public comment hinting at you looking to move on.

Update your profile, make it professional, accurate and most of all interesting. Once you've done that, approach your contacts, perhaps recruiters.

Honestly I would start speaking to recruiters and start applying for positions.

Like when you start at an entry level position, apply for positions one after another to increase your chances. Keep a record of all the applications and update with progress. I've found in my experience for every 15 relevant job applications, I might get 3/4 phone interviews. From them perhaps 1/2 F2F interviews. The more you apply the higher your chances.
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Set up a 'fake' profile?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I messaged one of my contacts directly to seek advice. There is also a section on there now that highlights jobs you might be interested in based on your contacts and skills as well.
    I found the best way for me was to search for places I wanted to work, then look on their website for jobs. This returned a much better application to interview rate! Applying on indeed, reed and the like just ended up me not hearing back from the majority of places. Very frustrating. It also took longer to bag a job than it has in the past. Not sure if it was MD or just the way the market is. Good luck.
  • bearcat16
    bearcat16 Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Delete all of your colleagues
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts