Should I ditch Lifetime Tracker for a 5yr Fixed Rate

Options

Hi

My husband and I have a lifetime tracker mortgage, which started at a rate of 1.49% then increased to 1.74% last September when BofE increased .25%. We still have about 10years left before we pay off the mortgage, possibly sooner.

We don't plan on moving over the next 5 years, so we are wondering whether we would be better off getting a 5year fixed rate. Especially as the BofE is likely to increase very shortly. If it does then the rate of 1.99% would match the lowest 5yr fixed rate that we have seen, presuming it's still available!

As if the rates increase again over the next 5yrs which I suspect they will, then we'll be paying more on the tracker than the fixed.

Previously we have always benefitted by being on a tracker.

Any advice on whether we should keep the tracker or move to a fixed rate would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Ally :)[/FONT]

Comments

• YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Ally

You are facing the same dilemma as a mountain of people currently remortgaging at present, as to whether the recent economic uncertainty should sway you into fixing for a longer period.

This is purely down to your attitude to risk and preference for long-term stability over short-term flexibility. If you feel that in the next 5 years, nothing much will change, then yes, a long term fixed rate is a viable option. However, do remember, you will generally be tying yourself up for that period of time and this does mean if you want to upsize / downsize etc you may have to port your rate (at the discretion of your lender) or be liable for a hefty early repayment charge. There are lenders and rates out there that have more flexible options, ie 5 Year Fixed with no early repayment charges, however, these are generally a higher interest rate than fixed rates with charges.

A good broker would present your options and discuss what is most important for you from a rate, before reviewing the market to find a viable option for you.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • Lucky_Duck_2
    Options
    allisond wrote: »
    My husband and I have a lifetime tracker mortgage, which started at a rate of 1.49% then increased to 1.74% last September when BofE increased .25%.[/FONT]

I don't understand this bit, the base rate hasn't been increased for 10 years or so.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee, at its meeting ending on 13 September 2017, the MPC voted by a majority of 7-2 to maintain Bank Rate at 0.25%.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never had a tracker mortgage always a fixed rate.

Personally, our 2 year fix ends in March and I'm wanting to do a 5 year fix.
  • allisond
    allisond Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Yes sorry that was a mistake Lucky Duck....I was meaning to say that it is 1.49% + BofE rate of .25% making it 1.74%
  • allisond
    allisond Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments, we don't mind risk and in light of what sevenhills has said - which I wasn't aware of - thank you.....we have decided to remain with our tracker.

Thank you.

Ally:)
  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    Ally

You are aware they meet every month right?
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure