Suspicious transfers before bankruptcy?

Options
Long time lurker, first time poster!

Hi all,

I'm considering bankruptcy in the near future. (currently 36 weeks pregnant so not just yet!)

I've made some terrible shameful mistakes combined with severe mental health issues and hopefully one day soon will have the courage to post about the mess of my entire situation but for now I have a question.

I have an HSBC current account. I was homeless from November 2016 to May 2017. In March 2017 I lost my bank card and without an address for new bank card, plus HSBC being one of my major creditors I was too afraid to speak to anyone and just transferred money out of that account via automated telephone banking to friends for them to withdraw the money for me.
This went on until just this past week when I've finally opened a basic account with Lloyds.

How will this effect my application for bankruptcy when the time comes? Will it look like I'm giving money away? It's going to look ridiculous to the OR isn't it?
I guess I can only hope that as there are no other cash withdrawals at cash points during that time that my explanation will be believed? I had my card details saved to the website I bought contact lenses from so used it in that way too.

This is only one small part of the mess I've got myself into but hopefully any advice on this issue might help me sleep tonight.

Thanks for being kind in advance! :)

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    It's going to be something to explain to the OR, yes, but as long as you're open and honest, I don't see it being much of an issue, unless if the amounts were very significant.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »
    It's going to be something to explain to the OR, yes, but as long as you're open and honest, I don't see it being much of an issue, unless if the amounts were very significant.
    Hi, It is exactly as described here. Also, if they are willing, you have witnesses.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • sleeplessmess
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)
    I'm already considering giving up on bankruptcy because of all this and hoping for an IVA now!

Keeping positive!
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2017 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)
    I'm already considering giving up on bankruptcy because of all this and hoping for an IVA now!

Keeping positive!
    Hi, unless you have substantial assets to protect or are in a profession where you can't go bankrupt an IVA could be a costly choice.
    The things you described are not an issue in bankruptcy.

What do you think an IVA can give you?
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    An IVA is only beneficial if you are a homeowner, or other asset holder.

An IVA has the same impact as a bankruptcy in your credit files, and counts as a form of insolvency. Also, it requires payments for 6 years, can fail, putting your debts back where they were before the IVA started.

Without a full SOA, we cannot assist further.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure