Urgent query re account freezing..

Been declared BR today, Monday and expecting my bank account to be frozen BUT have found out I'm being paid a week earlier than I expected from WTC and DLA - Tomorrow in fact!

This is my food and rent money for the next three weeks so am panicking!

Is my account already frozen? Will I be able to use either my card or cash machines tomorrow?

The BR shows as approved on the application but I've not heard from the OR yet

Please help as I can only find a 'possible / worst case' scenario online :(

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why not go to a cashpoint and withdraw as much as you can.
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Why not go to a cashpoint and withdraw as much as you can.

I'm planning on doing it as soon as it hits my account - the problem is that it will be credited at 9:00 tomorrow! Wondered if anyone knew if there was a timeline for freezing to happen
  • It won't be frozen immediately, it normally takes a few days and the OR needs to notify the bank if they have any objections to you keeping the account or not. Then its down to the bank to decide.

I got made BR on the 6th september and my account is still open.

Just withdraw the max you can each day or go to the branch tomorrow and withdraw the lot. Open a nationwide Basic account which they will be fine with and deposit the cash in there.
  • Open a nationwide Basic account which they will be fine with and deposit the cash in there.

Thanks, Do I NEED to open a new / Basic account? I have no debt with the current bank - Halifax, now or past, & the account gives me no credit facilities, Just a standard Visa type card.

Seems a nightmare if I have to change all my DD's and benefit/work payments into my account?!
  • Thanks, Do I NEED to open a new / Basic account? I have no debt with the current bank - Halifax, now or past, & the account gives me no credit facilities, Just a standard Visa type card.

Seems a nightmare if I have to change all my DD's and benefit/work payments into my account?!

You don't need to but i am also with Halifax and as i mentioned, my original account is still open atm. I opened one after i was made bankrupt as i was advised that Halifax are one of the most unfriendly banks towards bankrupt customers. Like you i have no debt with them but i wasn't willing to take the chance all my money was frozen.

The online application for Nationwide has the basic account which is good for those who are bankrupt, it even asks if you are in the process or have been made bankrupt. I was approved instantly.

Its not a NEED to do it, but i certainly would for peace of mind
  • KJ2886
    KJ2886 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I had a reward current account with Halifax, no overdraft and no debt with them previously, the OR wrote to the bank about my bankruptcy and said they had no interest in the account and to release any funds in the account and allowed continued used of the account. But Its up to the banks if they freeze it and Halifax said they would, they couldnt downgrade it to a more basic one had to have it closed and a new one opened!
    Took a couple of weeks for my account to get frozen tho
  • Hello,

It is advisable to change bank accounts over & to start with a clean slate. I now have a basic bank account with Nationwide and I cannot fault them. They have been nothing but helpful and kind when dealing with me everything sorted out very quickly and I had a new card within a week.

I paid all my essential bills and then took out remaining money in my bank account to live off - fuel/shopping/childcare bill and the OR never batted an eyelid about it during my phone call.

Definately get in touch with Nationwide about moving your DD over for you they might arrange it all for you. I ended up doing it all myself and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Good luck, it does get easier... I was made BR 2nd October and the first 2 weeks I was very anxious and stressed out but that seems to be lessening now, trying to view it as a fresh start.

Although, I have some pretty major things going on in my family life on top of BR so I'm amazed I'm still with it! - the last 2 months have been the very worst of my life but I think I'm through the worst now. One day at a time x
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It took nearly 3 weeks for the OR to notify my bank of the BR - and a further 2 weeks before the bank actually did anything about it but maybe it happens faster now its all online but even then, I would think you should be ok until tomorrow - just draw it all out as soon as it lands in the account tonight.
  • Mad dash to bank at 9am to withdraw almost all money - left a tenner in as emergency cash - week later still not frozen and used the tenner to buy dinners for the week! :T

Thanks all :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport