Help

Options
Hi hope some one can advise .

I have had solar panels on my roof since 2011 with a company called Freesource energy. these are PHOTOVOLTAIC solar panels made by MITSUBISHI I have a row of six. Type POLYCRYSTALLINE PV-Tj225GA6. I have had over the past weeks companies ringing me up saying my INVERTER could and might pack up at any time and can we come and give you a quote for a replacement. Are these companies just touting for business or is it something that I need to consider doing.?? Anyone else had similar calls and changed their Inverter.??:

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are these companies just touting for business or is it something that I need to consider doing.?? Anyone else had similar calls and changed their Inverter.??:

Hiya, I've had a few over the last year or so. I think they've just gotten their hands on a list of PV'ers and are trying their luck.

They tell me they are ringing as my inverter (I had 3 actually) is now out of warranty (2 went out of warranty a year ago) so I ask when that happened and they BS about not knowing the exact specifics.

I ask if they are members of the TPS and they say yes, but my number wasn't flagged, I must have failed to update it with TPS (you don't need to), so I usually take a 'flyer' and ask why their number has been withheld (I've no idea if it has) and they then explain why that has happened.

Bunch of scammers.

Usually they are trying to sell a maintenance contract and also attempting to scare folk.

If everything is fine then probably best to just wait for the inverter to pack up, which might be tomorrow or 10yrs time, then get a replacement.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya, I've had a few over the last year or so. I think they've just gotten their hands on a list of PV'ers and are trying their luck.

Just to say that I've had an e-mail today from MCS because I asked them if they'd heard of "License Solar", they haven't.

The last call I had trying it on, said they got my information from the National PV register - License Solar. Perhaps not?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Do you make a habit of replacing all your domestic appliances as soon as they go out of warranty, because they might go wrong?

An inverter could fail at any time. Mine is now out of warranty, but it's still working. When it goes wrong, I'll have to order a new one. Until then, why waste money replacing something that still works?

When the inverter goes wrong, I will probably lose a few pounds worth of generation. But that's dwarfed by the cost of replacing a perfectly good inverter that still works.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get calls weekly now ranging from my inverter(singular and not the 3 I have(doh!!)) being out of warranty to voltage optimisers(think that's what they call them) that will increase my output by up to 25%. Had a letter yesterday about upgrading to solaredge(have it already on one of my systems) which "could" improve my return by "up to" 25% again. (wow a full 50% increase to be had if I combine the 2)
    Depending how I feel at the time i'll converse with them up to the point of making them look stupid and ill informed at which point I tell them to have sex and travel, that usually does the trick....if not i'll hit my call blocker which cuts them off in an instant5139.gif

Seriously though, if it aint broke....don't fix it...simples5170.gif
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure