Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • raleigh75
    • By raleigh75 9th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    solicitor harassment
    • #1
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    solicitor harassment 9th Oct 17 at 12:10 PM
    I do have a lot of debt, over 100k due to credit crunch 2008, loss of business and trying to survive off credit cards. I am looking into bankruptcy. In the meantime I have the unfortunate dealings with a solicitor company who are demanding all of my 40 disposable income to repay a credit card debt. They have a judgement against me through the courts which I didn't know about ( sent to my old address which was repossessed) I have explained I am entering agreements with all my creditors for 10 a month, but if I don't pay the 40 they will enforce the judgement ( i.e. bailiffs) They are asking for SOA and 3 months bank statements. Do I have to provide them with my bank statements? Is it true I can't pay more to one company than another and they shouldn't ask this?!
    Ive tried my best to cope but bankruptcy is going to be my best option
Page 1
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 9th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,250 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:31 PM
    If you're looking into going bankruptcy? Assuming you've had advice from the CAB/Stepchange etc,and that's the best option, you shouldn't be paying any of your creditors.

    All of those debts, including any CCJs will be included in the bankruptcy and you'll need to pay the 850ish fee, so you'll need to save up that.

    At this point, you write to the solicitor, say you're going bankrupt and that this debt will be taken care of as part of it. County court bailiffs have little power, are not really used often to enforce CCA debt and CCA debt cannot be escalated to the high courts.

    Get help with your case in terms of bankruptcy ASAP.
  • National Debtline
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    Hi Raleigh75,

    The bankruptcy fee in England and Wales is 680. A court fee of 130 and a deposit of 550. You may be able to apply for help from some trust funds for the deposit and a potential discount on the court fee, depending on your circumstances, using an EX160 form. If you are seriously considering bankruptcy then ensure you get full advice from one of the free charities first. If it would take you time to get the fee together and you are worried about bailiffs you could try and vary the CCJ.

    This is done with an N245 (if it is still in the county court and not the high court) costing 50. The court will consider your application to change the payments and if you maintain the new payments set, the creditor cannot apply for things like bailiffs. But one thing you need to weigh up here is the timescale and longevity of this application. Good luck,

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,923Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

  • Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

  • It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

  • Follow Martin