Scottish Widows income protection plan

Hi everyone.

When I started my Scottish Widows pension plan 15 years ago, I also took out an income protection plan to cover for the eventuality of me being unable to keep paying into the plan. When I raised my contributions a few years later, I was advised to also take out a second income protection plan to cover the increment.

At all times was I upfront that I worked full time as a classical violinist for a major British opera company.

In 2012, I suffered spontaneous nerve palsy, losing complete control of my bowing arm. This ended my career instantly.

My claim to Employment Support Allowance was declined on the grounds that I was able to undertake most professions, just not playing the violin anymore.

Scottish Widows refused to take over my pension contributions through my income protection plan whilst I was retraining as a teacher, on the grounds that I was not eligible for ESA.

Having been upfront about my profession when taking out the plan, would it have been up to Scottish Widows to check that I would not be eligible to payments from this income protection plan, even if I might no more be able to play the violin? I have documentation from leading UK neurologists to prove that my medical condition at the time did indeed mean I had to end my career.

I wonder if I might be in the position to reclaim my payments into the income protection plan, as it proofed useless to me when I did need it.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Informed advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    What do the terms and conditions say about eligibility, does it pay out if you cannot do you normal job or any job at all?
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Are you being paid during your teacher training?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Scottish Widows refused to take over my pension contributions through my income protection plan whilst I was retraining as a teacher, on the grounds that I was not eligible for ESA.

Income protection comes in a number of forms. You can classify most types under budget, standard and comprehensive. Budget plans or those where the "any occupation" classification is used means you have to be unable to work in other roles too. "own occupation" is where you cannot do your own occupation anymore. That comes with the comprehensive plans or those that allow the choice of either. Own occupation is usually more expensive than any occupation.
    Having been upfront about my profession when taking out the plan, would it have been up to Scottish Widows to check that I would not be eligible to payments from this income protection plan, even if I might no more be able to play the violin?

No. These are options on the plans. Or if bought from a tied sales force, then it may be the only option on the plan.
    I wonder if I might be in the position to reclaim my payments into the income protection plan, as it proofed useless to me when I did need it.

It didnt prove useless. You just didnt have a claimable event under its definition. Budget plans may be cheaper on premiums but if you suffer a claim, the cost of going budget can end up being quite costly.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Half of me wonders if the OP is talking about Premium Waiver rather than a separate PHI plan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure