Are These Holiday Hours Right

Options
I generally work 14 shifts per month, I started this job Feb 1st on 36hours one week and 46 the next. Shifts are 11.5 hours.

I've taken about 7 days holiday so far, they're saying I've got 70 hours left to take about 6 days, so is it right I only have two weeks holiday per year?

Thank you.

Comments

• ~Daisy_81~
    Options
    I work full time night shifts if that matters as well.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not that knowledgeable, but until someone better comes along, perhaps you can make do with my limited information.

Your holiday will be on a pro rata basis.

It sounds like you have 13 days holiday a year. 13 days holiday would give you the equivalent of one months holiday to take - the same as most people have. Because you only work a few days a week you don't "need" 20 plus days to have a full 4 weeks off work.

By the way 13 days is not 2 weeks holiday. When people say that they have 4 weeks holiday a year, it usually means 20 days holiday ie the working days in a week off of work.

Like I said, someone will be along soon to explain it better. Probably with maths.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2017 at 7:43AM
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    I'm not that knowledgeable, but until someone better comes along, perhaps you can make do with my limited information.

Your holiday will be on a pro rata basis.

It sounds like you have 13 days holiday a year. 13 days holiday would give you the equivalent of one months holiday to take - the same as most people have. Because you only work a few days a week you don't "need" 20 plus days to have a full 4 weeks off work.

By the way 13 days is not 2 weeks holiday. When people say that they have 4 weeks holiday a year, it usually means 20 days holiday ie the working days in a week off of work.

Like I said, someone will be along soon to explain it better. Probably with maths.

I should also have said that it also depends on when your holiday entitlement year starts - 1st Jan or some other date. You may not have accrued enough holiday yet.

What does your contract say about holiday entitlement? It will be in there and it will definitely mention pro rata.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    ~Daisy_81~ wrote: »
    I generally work 14 shifts per month, I started this job Feb 1st on 36hours one week and 46 the next. Shifts are 11.5 hours.

I've taken about 7 days holiday so far, they're saying I've got 70 hours left to take about 6 days, so is it right I only have two weeks holiday per year?

Thank you.

11.5 does not go into 36hr , 46 is 4 shifts

do you mean 3/4 shifts and 14shifts every 4 weeks not a month?

statutory holiday is 5.6 weeks or 28 days for a 5day a week worker.

Assuming you did mean 3/4 then that's and average of 3.5 shifts a week or 19.6 a year

This includes BH. and assumes regular full timers get 28 days total)

if you did mean 14 shifts a month thats 5.6 * 14*12/52 * 18.1 shifts holiday

without knowing the holiday year can't tell if you have a full years worth or not.

eg if it is calendar year you have a bout 11/12 worth.

if you don't work BH if on the rota then that counts s a days holiday(as long as you get paid)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure