Just got sent an org chart with name missing

Options
I am after some advice. I have worked for a large company for 12 years, fairly senior role.

I am aware of some organisational restructuring coming up.

I have not been spoken to about a future role change yet.

I have just been sent a powerpoint with my current team reporting to a new role.

I don't know whether to flag this, seek an employment lawyer or just wait? It's entirely possible I will be offered another role, as i've done quite well over the years, but can't be sure.

I think this will play to my favour if worst came to head, but how do i play it?

any advice gratefully received. thx

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would speak to your manager about the org chart and ask what your future role is
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would add a box with my name on it, highlighted in red Comic Sans and send it back!
  • Sanne
    Sanne Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    How did you get to see it? Officially, by accident or in a way you shouldn't have seen it?

How you play it depends on what outcome you'd be seeking.

If you'd leave no matter what start looking for another job now.

If you'd consider another role offered to you speak to your manager if possible - bear in mind though that a) are you sure they know yet and b) the org chart may well not be final yet. Also don't do this if you got to the org chart in a way you shouldn't have.

If you're after redundancy pay then wait and see.

When you're told try and buy time if needed - I asked for 1.5 weeks to consider the new role when this happened to me, looked for a new job and handed in my notice after a week. I wasn't entitled to any redundancy pay though as had only been there for just over a year.

No point engaging a lawyer now as you don't know yet what'll actually happen.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd flag it to your manager with the concern that confidential information may have been sent to you in error.

This should reflect well on you, and allow them to deal with any process failure/failure to communicate. Acting professionally in this kind of situation helps when roles are being considered in a reorg.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I'd flag it to your manager with the concern that confidential information may have been sent to you in error.

This should reflect well on you, and allow them to deal with any process failure/failure to communicate. Acting professionally in this kind of situation helps when roles are being considered in a reorg.

It would depend how they got the chart, If it is a good friend who shared the information privately as a warning it would be a pretty nasty thing to stab them in the back to try and improve your professional reputation.

It would make you look a bit like a rat to your colleagues.
  • Bmth100
    Bmth100 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    Options
    This happened to my manager in a previous company. In their case, it wasn't an oversight; they did indeed lose that role, and they weren't supposed to have seen the chart. However, it's worth bearing in mind that this person was given another role of higher seniority that just hadn't been documented on said chart yet.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You do not know the full story. Don't jump to conclusions.

Powerpoint charts are usually probably prepared by the most junior person in the team, such as the HR graduate assistance. It is entirely possible that they got it wrong.

It is also possible that the chart is just one of many different possibilities that the business is considering, and that at the end of the process the business may decide to do something completely different. Any business worth its salt will consider multiple options (including difficult options) before reaching a decision.

There is nothing really for an employment lawyer to advise you on yet. I don't think the fact that someone has sent you a chart by accident makes a difference.

I would sit tight. If your role is to be made redundant there would be notice and a redundancy consultation at some point. These things don't happen overnight.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would sit tight. If your role is to be made redundant there would be notice and a redundancy consultation at some point. These things don't happen overnight.

I would want to know what's behind it asap, no need to wait and maybe fearing the worst if no need to.

Just ask your line manager if it's significant.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure