Bank account frozen?!

Dear Forum,

My bank account has been frozen or closed, I've had no communication from the bank so I don't know which. I was given no warring and I've spoken to my branch in person and they can't or won't tell me what's going on.

I have opened a new basic account with TSB in the meantime. My benefits have been returned to the DWP who say they will now be re issued to my new account, I have to say they where very helpful the council on the other hand are not, a payment for the rent has been issued and was accepted by my old bank account I spoke to my trustee asking them to speak to the bank to release the money which so far hasn't happened.
So what do I do now?

Also the council say I will have to apply again for housing benefit and asking how did I not know my account was being frozen or closed and how on earth did I open a new bank account if I'm bankrupt ( their words) They are saying something is not ringing true! So I can imagine they think some kind of fraud is going on which it is definitely NOT the case but I know they have to be on guard for this.
I feel so ashamed to be bankrupt without also feeling they are impling I've done something unlawful.

Does anyone know if there is someone I can talk to about my bankruptcy as I'm not in a good place mentally at the moment. I really didn't think I would have such a negative effect on me. I knew it would be bad but no this bad!

Best wishes,

Naemoney

Comments

• luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi was the account that has been frozen/closed a current account?
    We always advise a basic bank account is opened before B.R and getting all you credits and D.D going through ok.
    I would have a word with your O.R and ask if they will contact the bank to release your funds.
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I got a copy of the letter the OR sent to my bank which basically said they had no interest in it and that I had been advised to contact the bank to agree to continued use of it.

This is a basic account though.

The subject was also discussed in my interview.

Which Bank was it ?
  • Naemoney
    Naemoney Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hello Butts,

It was Lloyd's, my trustee is going to talk to them. I've already spoken to them myself but they don't seem to know what I'm talking about or don't want to help.

I've now set up everything I need to with my new account, it's just I need my rent payment released from my old account.

Thanks for the reply, how have you found the whole process? I'm in bits with it all, but I'm sure in time I'll get over it.

Naemoney
  • Naemoney
    Hello Luvchocolate,

Thank you for the reply, It wasn't a basic account but it didn't offer an overdraft. My trustee is going to speak to them and ask for funds to be released. So hopefully it will be sorted out soon.

I've now got my new account up and running but it's going to be a long 12 months until I'm discharged!!!!!!!

Many thanks,

Naemoney
  • Butts
    Naemoney wrote: »
    Hello Butts,

It was Lloyd's, my trustee is going to talk to them. I've already spoken to them myself but they don't seem to know what I'm talking about or don't want to help.

I've now set up everything I need to with my new account, it's just I need my rent payment released from my old account.

Thanks for the reply, how have you found the whole process? I'm in bits with it all, but I'm sure in time I'll get over it.

Naemoney

Hi Naemoney

I'm a bit worried about my Bank Account but is is a basic account with no overdraft or cheque book so I should be okay. I agree with your comment about staff not being trained to deal with bankruptcy.

I phoned Yorkshire Bank prior to going belly up to seek guidance about what might happen and they were scrabbling about looking in manuals - no definitive response :D

I can understand why you are in bits with regard to your benefits and bank account being messed up. Fortunately I have escaped pretty unscathed so far.

How was your interview ?
  • Naemoney
    Hi Butts,

My interview was ok , It just seemed to be a box ticking exercise but I suppose they have to do it. Mine was over the phone and they just rattled through the questions, although the last question was how did I get into debt but was told to keep my answer brief!!!! Which as you can see from my posts I do tend to go on a bit!!!! So I managed to sum it up in a few sentences.

Hope your interview goes ok.

Best wishes,
    Naemoney
  • Butts
    Hi Butts,

My interview was ok , It just seemed to be a box ticking exercise but I suppose they have to do it. Mine was over the phone and they just rattled through the questions, although the last question was how did I get into debt but was told to keep my answer brief!!!! Which as you can see from my posts I do tend to go on a bit!!!! So I managed to sum it up in a few sentences.

Hope your interview goes ok.

Best wishes,
    Naemoney

Already had it on Wednesday - Not as invasive as I was expecting !!
  • Naemoney
    Butts wrote: »
    Already had it on Wednesday - Not as invasive as I was expecting !!
    Glad it went ok for you. No it wasn't as invasive as I thought either, I was sat there with loads of paperwork sweating bullets!!!!!!! Why I don't know?! It was ok!!!!!!!

Naemoney
  • Butts
    Glad it went ok for you. No it wasn't as invasive as I thought either, I was sat there with loads of paperwork sweating bullets!!!!!!! Why I don't know?! It was ok!!!!!!!

Naemoney

I think the bottom line is that if you don't have any assets and a low income which means no recoverable dosh to distribute (and earn them money) it is as you said a "tick box exercise".

Getting you done and dusted means they can move onto more lucrative candidates.

I was expecting to go through my Bank Account and Bills line by line but it just didn't happen.......

Thank God :D
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Butts wrote: »
    I think the bottom line is that if you don't have any assets and a low income which means no recoverable dosh to distribute (and earn them money) it is as you said a "tick box exercise".

Getting you done and dusted means they can move onto more lucrative candidates.

I was expecting to go through my Bank Account and Bills line by line but it just didn't happen.......

Thank God :D

Exactly.

These guys have a massive caseload, and time is money.

If you're open and honest, and show that you've literally just got enough to get by once the bankruptcy is cleared, they wont waste time with you.

They're more interested in those who declare bankruptcy to hide assets or cash, and those who they can recover at least something from.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure