Opticians

Options
I found myself pressurised and manoeuvred into buying 3 new frames that I did Not want or need.
I had 3 good quality one-year old frames (including an expensive designer one), which I wanted reglazed with new prescription. I was told emphatically, as a universal fact, that it would be cheaper to discard last year's frames and buy new ones. This was the dispensing optician's considered "professional" opinion. What a waste, not to mention environment! I was quoted £126.00 each for reglazing my 3 frames (total cost £378.00). I later found this not to be true, as other opticians did agree that reglazing my existing 3 frames is a cheaper and better option. I know I could have taken the prescription and shopped around. But this is not a point - an optician is a healthcare professional bound by a code of conduct and should act with integrity, not like an avaricious and unscrupulous trader. Given this malpractice, I am not surprised that many people whose medical condition necessitates a regular eye test do not have this done and suffer. "Trust me, I am an optician" no longer holds true for me. No joy with GOC - they seem to condone this conduct. Profit rules!
Kind regards,
Maria

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you take financial advice from an optician?

Sounds like buyers remorse.

(Oh my days, you've been moaning about this for a year!)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And Your campaign is just what exactly..?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm always shocked when I see two shops selling exactly the same thing for different prices. It's almost like shops are deliberately trying to maximise their profits. Totally unscrupulous!

If only every shop was a member of a price-fixing cartel... Then you could be sure that everyone else would be paying the same high price as you.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <<If only every shop was a member of a price-fixing cartel... Then you could be sure that everyone else would be paying the same high price as you.>

Its in Joe ( man of steel ) Corbyns to do list .
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    An optician is out to make money, they do not run the business to benefit other people, it may well have been their opinion that it was cheaper to get new glasses, but you did not have to buy from there, and there is quite a few online companies that will reglaze your glasses for a very good price.

Learn the lesson and take someone with you next time to remind you of what you decided.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • MariaJP
    MariaJP Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    “Trust me, I am a Registered Healthcare Professional” ?? True, or, False?
    Kind regards,
    Maria
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    MariaJP wrote: »
    “Trust me, I am a Registered Healthcare Professional” ?? True, or, False?

Wrong forum I'm afraid :cool:
  • Oldbiggles
    Options
    Many years ago ‘Which magazine’ launched a campaign against the exceedingly high prices that opticians were charging for frames that cost a few pence to produce. They also highlighted the fact that there were cheaper frames that the opticians failed to tell their customers about.
    Unfortunately, the opticians not only ignored this criticism but continued with their money grubbing ways and introduced so called ‘designer’ frames for those who were easily led to believe that they looked better.
    For some reason, ‘Which’ failed to follow up on this campaign and until something is done about it; opticians will continue to rip off the public.

:cool:
    Trying to learn something new every day.

;)
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Oldbiggles wrote: »
    Many years ago ‘Which magazine’ launched a campaign against the exceedingly high prices that opticians were charging for frames that cost a few pence to produce. They also highlighted the fact that there were cheaper frames that the opticians failed to tell their customers about.
    Unfortunately, the opticians not only ignored this criticism but continued with their money grubbing ways and introduced so called ‘designer’ frames for those who were easily led to believe that they looked better.
    For some reason, ‘Which’ failed to follow up on this campaign and until something is done about it; opticians will continue to rip off the public.

:cool:

Which? recently did another article on who owns what in frames, lenses and dispensing opticians.

It was frighting.

One company of frames basically did most of the cheap frames up to designer frames.

Another did most of the lenses.

And a third the dispensing.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Urvasi
    Options
    I recently used a company to get my frames reglazed cost £40 and was done within a week. Excellent service and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to avoid being ripped off by opticians trying to charge for new frames search for ciliary blue and you will find them - excellent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure