Transfering DB to SIPP

Options

Comments

• pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    If you consider risk profiling daft then perhaps you should not be considering a DB pension transfer.

Its not the risk profiling as such that's daft, its the specific questionnaires that I have been made to fill out in the past, supposedly to arrive at my risk profile and the way they were then used to push me into a particular investment.

I consider myself fairly cautious, but when I am considering what investment to make for a small part of my total assets I reserve the right to be incautious. I also resent the way if you are cautious you are automatically pushed into gilts & bonds - who is to say that they are even low risk at current yields??

I also don't understand why being cautious should make you considered more likely to do something as recklessly stupid as to sell out of an investment after a crash.

I do except though, that things may have moved on and the risk profiling as part of this exercise might be rather better done and not a total waste of time.:D
  • pip895
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You are not paying insurance.

No but I am paying for someone else's insurance and I am paying more for someone to jump through hoops to meet compliances in order to satisfy the insurance companies.

I blame lawyers not IFA's though.;)
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pip895 wrote: »
    No but I am paying for someone else's insurance and I am paying more for someone to jump through hoops to meet compliances in order to satisfy the insurance companies.

I blame lawyers not IFA's though.;)

Thems the rules, factor the costs into the sums involved, if they massively impact then don't do it but that wouldn't appear to be the case here, it could for someone with a mid five figure transfer amount.

You can certainly shop around for quotes, there's an argument that the insurance element should just be considered as a lump sum, maybe target a total fee of £5k.

I've spent much of my life in engineering consultancy, a few years ago a colleague charged a client a few thousand for doing some straightforward work. The client three a strop at the fee, the main output was some drawings with a little supporting report and calculations. Clients argument was that it was only a few hours work, my comoany argument was that the PI insurance worked out at maybe £1-2k per project so that would act as a minimum fee. We offered a compromise that we'd do the work for simple hourly rates, maybe £500, but would remove the PI cover, client settled for the full fee option.
  • pip895
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    We offered a compromise that we'd do the work for simple hourly rates, maybe £500, but would remove the PI cover, client settled for the full fee option.

I would like to be given that option - I would like to be able to sit down with an IFA and work through the pros & cons of my decision and I would be more than happy to sign a piece of paper stating that any decision I made to take or ignore his/her advice at the end was fully at my own risk. Sadly its not an option that is available.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its not the risk profiling as such that's daft, its the specific questionnaires that I have been made to fill out in the past, supposedly to arrive at my risk profile and the way they were then used to push me into a particular investment.

How is the adviser able to decide what your risk profile is if they do not ask those questions. Also, that is just part of the risk profiling. Advisers take those questions as a starting point. However, they also look at your knowledge, behaviour and capacity for loss as well. Its not just a scoring system.
    I consider myself fairly cautious, but when I am considering what investment to make for a small part of my total assets I reserve the right to be incautious. I also resent the way if you are cautious you are automatically pushed into gilts & bonds - who is to say that they are even low risk at current yields??

Gilts and Bonds, when they suffer a crash, it is typically no more than 5%. Stockmarket crash can be upto 50%. So, as a measure, they are low risk in terms of what they are likely to go down by. Cautious portfolios are multi-asset. It would be highly unlikely you would have a 100% fixed interest. just as you would not expect 100% stockmarket at the other end or 100% cash.
    I also don't understand why being cautious should make you considered more likely to do something as recklessly stupid as to sell out of an investment after a crash.

There are plenty of investors investing well over their risk profile who will sell at the worst time when the next crash comes along. Its about finding the level that is financially sensible and also not going to result in you doing something silly when the next downturn comes.

Virtually all investment complaints come from people moaning about losses in value. No-one moans about something going up.

i have had experience of people that say all the right things and make all the right noises but when the event actually happens, they suddenly backtrack. With a £20,000 investment losing £5000 in a crash, it may not enough to trigger the client being scared. With a £400,000 investment suffering the same degree of loss, that is £100k. Or £200k loss if £800k fund. Those sums can change peoples views.
    I do except though, that things may have moved on and the risk profiling as part of this exercise might be rather better done and not a total waste of time.

I have been doing this for over 20 years and seen the process change beyond all recognition. You also see continued adjustments by the software companies following regulatory feedback. Just today, Rory Percival (highly regarded ex FCA) has issued a report on risk profiling and he has analysed a few of the major tools used.

I blame lawyers not IFA's though.

Nothing is being done to satisfy insurance companies. It is being done to satisfy the regulator. Plus, the industry is a lot more professional nowadays and advisers are there to advise. Not to tick boxes just to do what you want to do.

PI insurance is just one of the [too] many costs an IFA has. However, I highlighted as a cost that goes on long beyond your particular one-off transaction.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The transfer value of the policy was £162,000 in 2011 but has escalated to a whopping £483,000 today. I can only see this figure going down from here with interest rates beginning to rise??

Correspondingly a rise in interest rates will impact the value of your investments. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Ask yourself why somebody is prepared to offer such a mouth watering sum for you to transfer your money out. As they themselves are benefiting from removing the liability of your future pension off their books.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The transfer value of the policy was £162,000 in 2011 but has escalated to a whopping £483,000 today. I can only see this figure going down from here with interest rates beginning to rise?? So if I want to transfer I think now is the time.

If interest rates stayed the same, your CETV would continue to rise simply because you are getting older and it is getting closer to being paid. Other things that might make it rise are increases in inflation.

So yes, while an increase in interest rates might see it fall, there may be some offsetting factors. It's the relativity of all of these changes that will determine the overall outcome.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 September 2017 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Pip, I'm in a similar situation to you.......retired, 56, no mortgage, with rental property and substantial investments.....and I have a DB pension. With the rent and the pension I cover expenses and it's a great feeling because I can take lots of risk with my investments and not worry if the markets fall because my income comes from elsewhere. In your situation, and being married then if there is any survivor benefit the DB pension might actually be a nice option.

Your joint life expectancy is probably past 90 so why not keep the pension and "swing for the fences" with the rest of your money. You'll have nice regular income from the pension, rent and eventually state pension. Think of the DB pension as your fixed income allocation and go 100% equities in the ISA and SIPP.

PS I also share some of your skepticism about financial advisers.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sandsy wrote: »
    If interest rates stayed the same, your CETV would continue to rise simply because you are getting older and it is getting closer to being paid.

Or fall if the funding level of the scheme overall fell. As any transfer value on offer would not be to the detriment of the other members of the scheme.
  • pip895
    Options
    Pip, I'm in a similar situation to you.......retired, 56, no mortgage, with rental property and substantial investments.....and I have a DB pension. With the rent and the pension I cover expenses and it's a great feeling because I can take lots of risk with my investments and not worry if the markets fall because my income comes from elsewhere. In your situation, and being married then if there is any survivor benefit the DB pension might actually be a nice option.

Your joint life expectancy is probably past 90 so why not keep the pension and "swing for the fences" with the rest of your money. You'll have nice regular income from the pension, rent and eventually state pension. Think of the DB pension as your fixed income allocation and go 100% equities in the ISA and SIPP.

PS I also share some of your skepticism about financial advisers.

Out of interest is your DB pension index linked? If mine was then I would be keeping it but its not, so that aspect is not covered. I did notice that people who joined my scheme a few years after me have their pensions index linked but only up to a maximum of 5% - I don't know how common that sort of stipulation is - I am much luckier with my straight 5%.

The one thing that is staying my hand a bit is the difficulty in finding low risk investments that I like at the moment. The idea of considering the DB as the fixed interest portion of my portfolio is quite appealing.

The lack of flexibility and control on the other hand..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure