PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 15 September 2017

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 September 2017 at 5:57AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 15 September 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, it's not raining at the moment but did rain last night and it's turned colder, I have given in and put the heating on - hoping I'll be able to turn it off again after an hour or so. It's too early yet to have it on regularly.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, and both boys still in their pits - both either day off or not a college day. Youngest will come with me to do the food shopping, then he'll walk to the gym, eldest is waiting for engineer to come to do something to his car.

Dinner last night was roasted chicken portions, mash, broc, HG green beans, peas, LO veg, yorkshires and gravy. Tonight something and chips for the menfolk, maybe mushroom omelette and salad for me.

Yesterday I wasn't overly productive, but did make headway with the dirty wash basket, I will continue with this today. I also decided to make a start using up ingredients that I have in the store cupboard ie, bread flour, I got the bread maker out got all the ingredients in, turned it on and then tried to set the programme and it wouldn't do anything except the pre-set programme, so left it to do that, thinking I'd have a cooked loaf at the end, but I just ended up with dough which I then cooked in the oven, felt rather heavy and dense, but the boys demolished it last night. Machine has been standing on the worktop as I was going to get rid of it - DH said just switch it on and see what it does, and of course, I've switched it on and it's letting me change the programmes, loaf size etc so I'll be trying again and we'll see how it goes - if it's broken it's going, and I'll probably not replace it, I can make bread/pizza dough in my kenwood chef. I did get a menu done using items already in stock, also based the shopping list on this too. Did several running around jobs yesterday too, some phone calls etc and work on pc.

So on to today -
I'll be heading to the SM first thing, then home to put shopping away and get ironing done, then I have a nail appointment. I'm not working tomorrow so if I can do some things in the morning if needed.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Morning all
    Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.
    I haven't managed to post much this week as our mifi kept dropping out, I even struggled to read along. It seems to have stabilised now, fingers crossed.

We're of to work in a sec, I have 26 working days left, woo hoo.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Not counting then HH?!

Morning All

I think it's dry outside, I'm off for a swim so will find out in a mo.

DS2 arrived safely, good to have him here for a few days, going to meet DD later for something to eat as we always do on this day (DHs anniversary).

Sorry Mum didn't get home Gers, hope she's better today.

Had to put the heating on last night as it was decidedly chilly, house feels too warm now!

Have a good day. Take care. XX
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 September 2017 at 7:51AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off nmlc

Gers I'm sorry that mum didn't get home yesterday, I hope she is a bit better today.

Csarina (hugs) I hope that you get some sleep soon, you are under so much stress at the moment and trying to cope without sleep makes things worse.

Love the way you are counting down Hester I don't blame you.

I managed to get caught out in a heavy shower yesterday, and came home soaked through and freezing cold and spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get warm again. I’m hoping that the rain holds off this morning until I have been out. I don’t think it will be that long before I get my warmer coat back out.

I had ordered a couple of things from M & S which were due in yesterday. When I checked my email first thing they had sent me a twenty percent off code, so I immediately re-ordered the same things at the 20% off and need to go and collect and return the first lot this morning. When I did this before the assistant said that I was the second one that day doing the same.

I don’t know what to have for dinner tonight. I didn’t defrost anything overnight so will go and have a rummage through the freezer in a minute to see what I fancy.

The kettle and my breakfast is calling, so have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Another horrendous night, I am going to sleep and n the sewing room for a few nights. I seriously need to catch up on some sleep.

Left OH at home yesterday while I went to the hospital, some friends called in to see him, make sure he was ok. The consultant has discharged me but I have to go and see about treatment for stress, and I also have to get OH tested for dimentia. I also want to see if we can get an earlier appointment for the neurologist, 18th December is just too long to wait. Will make an appointment for next week.

We obviously did not go to my friends I phoned and put her off.

We had fish and chips last night, need to think of something else for supper tonight.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Chilly here this morning but not raining atm, off to work for me but its Friday
    :j

Tonight I think we are going to meet dd's young man we were mant to meet him once before but I had an upset tummy so could not go, he may have to work late in which case we will do it tomorrow. He seems like a nice chap and adores my dd which is lovely.

Thanks for all the wishes re dd, she is on the mend she ate a sandwich and a small evening meal yesterday both of which stayed down, she is back to work today so fingers crossed it doesn't return.

Camelot thinking of you today xx

Gers I hope mum can get home today xx

Have good days all xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Morning all

Just a quick catch up before I get out of bed. The telly is here and it's huge...well to me it is and yes Grump had to mount it on brackets as the stand overhung the shelf where the telly sits up the corner. Our old plasma telly was picked up by our chosen charity last night along with a few more bits and pieces I'd sorted out.

Little Miss will be here shortly. I'm looking after her whilst her Mummy goes shopping. Livewire is at school.

Hopefully food shopping tonight. Grump is working tomorrow.

Camelot thinking of you.

Hester I can't see you ever giving up work completely.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Dry, bright and sunny here so just having some brekkie and then will head off to the yard to make the most of it as it's meant to chuck it down later.
    Thinking of Gers and Csarina, sorry you are going through such tough times, hugs to Camelot.

Have a good day folks x
  • Morning everyone,

Thank crunchie it's Friday!

Yesterday after work I had arranged to visit my niece however it wasn't until I had driven 45 mins in traffic that my brother phoned to say they all had a trip to the dentist. So I done a u-turn and text my mum to say I'd stop off at hers and see how the holiday went, only to pull into their driveway as they were pulling out as they had a village council meeting and her whatsapp message to me didn't send. So another U-turn and home.

Home made butter chicken with cauliflower rice. Not overly keen on the cauliflower rice but the butter chicken was super easy to make and tasty. Hit bed for 9.30.

Been to the gym this morning and it's my cousins birthday dinner tonight over in Beith. Heading straight from work and will take me 1 hour 15 mins - but it's family. We're also meant to be camping in Fort William tomorrow but for various reasons I'm not sure if it's happening. We'll see.

csarina - Hope you're ok and had manage a better nights sleep tonight.

Have a super day and a lovely weekend.
  • Oh woe!
    Came down for a wee at 3.45 to discover DS was baking. He had decided that, as I always bake for others, he would make me some lemon-glazed doughnuts. These required mashed potato as well as flour. His first batch of yeast had not worked, so that was on the countertop, potato peelings, pans, every possible utensil, all the bowls and cups he had used to measure ingredients into and he was kneading dough on a large board on the table in the sitting room. The shock of the kitchen made me reluctant to return to bed. After another half an hour of kneading, he left to have a long Skype with his GF. The heating was on at maximum to help the dough to rise. Then, after I'd done the first two lots of washing up and cleaned the blobs of fought from my rug, he came down, shaped the dough and set it to rise again. Eventually, having commandeered my very last lemon for the glaze, he fried them and got in a right strop because the oven burners are not as consistent as they might be. They were ok but not necessarily cooked right through and I have frozen some in their dough state for another day, when I think they might do rather better for a longer rising. I am still mid-clean, and I've got the windows open to clear the frying smell. The floor is all oily, the table needs another scrub and I will need to blitz the entire kitchen before I can tackle the rest of the house. The washbasin in the bathroom is also doughy. Oh hooray, jolly hockey sticks, I do so enjoy my days off.

TLDR what a mess
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning everyone.

I'm in the Dentist's waiting room, got her a little early for my appointment

DM has reported a lack of success again this morning so my hopes of her coming home are fading. I've had to cancel my plans to meet up with friends in Edinburgh. One of was coming from Nottingham and the other from Rothbury, and I think I'll not get a refund on the hotel rooms. Gutted, both for my weekend and for DM still not being well.

It all could be so much worse so I'm swallowing it!

Hope everyone is doing well. Happy Friday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure