Taking A levels at 24

Options
Hi everyone,

A huge heaping lot has changed for me recently, for the better in every way. I have such a positive new outlook on life, a wonderful partner and let's say I've ironed the creases out when it comes to 'family members'. Anyway, I'm waffling.

I find myself in a position where I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands - Realistically I'm going to be out of work for a good 18 months. Couple this extra time with my new outlook, I've come to the decision that I want to start again pursuing my dream career. No longer is a mundane, shift-work, overtime, call out, 24/7 machine fixing job for me. I crave the mental stimulation - solving problems, analysing data, putting 1 and 1 together - I like to keep my mind busy.

I'm 24 years old with lots of time on my hands, on independent means (in a way). Short of visiting some sort of local careers advice centre, I thought I'd probe the depths of MSE for some careers advice. My dream is to be a Meteorologist - A forecaster to be more specific. Having read about this sort of post, I realise that I will need to acquire some A levels in maths and physics. Further to these, I'd need to gain a Degree/PhD in the specific field.

My question is, how do I go about enrolling into a course to gain Maths and Physics A levels? I'd like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, and am more than happy to take a course-from-home, if there is such a thing. I want to use this time to finally get my life back on track, the way I envisioned it to be whilst I was in school.

Thanks for reading,
J.

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why do you think you need A levels? If you're thinking of then going on to university for undergraduate/postgraduate degree(s), which not head straight to the university's webpage and see what their entrance requirements are for mature students - I think these involve access courses, rather than a levels, which are generally only expected from those coming straight from school.

Once you know what you need, find your nearest 6th form college/adult education centre/local university, and see if they offer the sorts of courses you want.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jimmy*c wrote: »
    I'm 24 years old with lots of time on my hands, on independent means (in a way).

My dream is to be a Meteorologist - A forecaster to be more specific. Having read about this sort of post, I realise that I will need to acquire some A levels in maths and physics. Further to these, I'd need to gain a Degree/PhD in the specific field.

My question is, how do I go about enrolling into a course to gain Maths and Physics A levels?

As a mature student, look for Access To Uni courses rather than A levels unless you especially want to do the exams.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    I agree, there are access to science courses that take 1 year whereas a lot of A level courses take 2. Sometimes you need maths and English at GCSE c or above as well, or be willing to do the one you dont have.
    Hope it works well, 24 is a good age to change direction.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Or look at the Open University. They may have a general intro to Science course that would get you going on most science subjects
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Having a plan is great, but it also needs to be realistic. Are you capable of study to PhD level, and can you afford it? Hopefully the answer is yes, but I would suggest you also have a middle term plan, in case your ambitions aren't entirely possible.
  • skint_chick
    Options
    If you're quick you might still have time to get on an Access course/A level course at college this year. Best to speak to the admissions team of universities you're interested in to see what requirement they have for non school leavers. If you're lucky enough to have some spare time while doing your qualifications to get to uni then consider work experience/placements/volunteering in a relevant position to give you the best chance of getting a job once you graduate too.

Have a look at meteorologist job ads and see what they require as essential and desirable criteria too - even historic job ads - and how your background fits with this and any other skills you need to brush up on or learn.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Another vote here for seeing what the OU has to offer. They are MADE for people like you! I didn't do any sciences at A level, but did their science foundation course as part of my degree, and it didn't assume any previous.... If you don't feel you have the skills to start on degree level courses without having done A levels, I'm sure they (and others) run excellent access courses.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • mynameisclare
    Options
    You don't need a PhD for operational meteorology (ie forecasting). You probably would if you wanted to go into research instead (it's not impossible without, but difficult).

eg here are the requirements the Met Office are looking for on their forecasting training course: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/careers/your-career/forecasting--observations

Job adverts for other forecasting companies seem to generally require experience. The Met Jobs mailing list archives might give you an idea: https://www.lists.rdg.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/met-jobs

There is a level of maths needed, so it may still be helpful to do A level maths regardless of whether you require it to get onto a degree course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure