PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing yoghurt and fromage frais?

Options
hi,
is it ok to freeze Natural yogurt ?

SPC no:076

Comments

• redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi,

I have frozen natural yogurt and fruit yogurts before, it is okay, but I general tend to eat it a frozen yogurt dessert rather than let it thaw totally out.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I make my own yogurt, using a live yogurt sometimes as a starter. Half a pot is enough for a batch so I freeze the rest, which is fine for the next time I need some. So yes, it's fine and retains it's 'live' properties :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmm, I had read that this was possible and tried it a few weeks ago, only to be disappointed with the result. At least I had only done 1 litre and not 2!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think the problem is that yoghurt never really regains its original texture once defrosted: it gets a bit lumpy / grainy. Unlike milk that defrosts perfectly.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    Hmm, I had read that this was possible and tried it a few weeks ago, only to be disappointed with the result. At least I had only done 1 litre and not 2!
    I only freeze it in small portions, maybe that makes a difference? If I'm going to eat it rather than using as a starter I would add a spoonful of muesli so maybe that soaks up any 'wetness'? I'll look more carefully next time :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never frozen yogurt.

I do make dauphinoise potatoes with crème fraiche and freeze a portion. That works. It's a bit dry but I add a little milk before reheating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure