Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • lewisssss
    • By lewisssss 7th Sep 17, 11:48 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tax relief for tools
    • #1
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:48 PM
    Tax relief for tools 7th Sep 17 at 11:48 PM
    I have searched previous posts and could not really find an answer. I work as a Mechanic at a dealership and have done for 3+ years. I had to buy all my tools for work and as you may know tools can be very expensive.

    I heard of about the tax relief for tools, I've been reading up on it and still a bit confused by the gov website, was wondering if anyone could answer me a few questions.

    1) They state you can claim tax relief for "repairing or replacing small tools you need to do your job" Where as the guy who told me about it said you could do it for all your tools you've purchased, as the amount I would get back would be minimal, as I rarely need to repair/replace my tools, so if someone could clarify that would be great.

    2) I bought the majority of my Snap On gear off eBay, as our local Snap On dealer is the worst dealer imaginable! I was wondering how this would effect my claim, as in how would I submit my receipts/invoices, if I'm eligible for the relief anyway.

    I can't imagine they'll accept items bought off eBay as your friend could literally list an item x20 the amount it's worth, you buy it, send in the receipt and get way more than the tools worth off the rebate.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    You can only claim for repairing or replacing tools.
    you can claim the fixed rate allowance for a mechanic
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 24th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    • 7,626 Posts
    • 12,789 Thanks
    • #3
    • 24th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    • #3
    • 24th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    There are job expenses which allow you to claim the fixed rate cost for replacement/repair/renewal of tools which does not require proof of purchase, or if you wish the actual cost of replacement/repair/renewal which requires you to send receipts etc.

    Then there are Capital allowances and Annual Investment Allowances.

    If you are making a claim for tools etc which are not replacements/renewals etc then you can do this by claiming annual investment allowances.

    To do this write to HMRC identifying the amounts you wish to claim tax relief on for each year of your claim, you can go back to the tax year 2013/2014.

    Provide receipts for your claim (if you buy tools via a snap on account etc they can usually provide you a print out of your purchases), it's also worth getting a letter from your employer which confirms they do not provide you with tools.

    IF YOUR CLAIM FOR ANY YEAR IS FOR MORE THAN 2500 you will have to make the claim on a self assessment form.

    If you have already submitted self assessment forms for any of the years of your claim you will need to either amend the tax return to include the expenses (if within 12 months of the returns statutory filing date) or if later than 12 months of the statutory filing date, make a claim in writing for Overpayment Relief per section 1AB of the TMA1970., and identify the amounts/years relevant to your claim (again you can go back to the tax year 2013/2014).
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 24th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • 6,631 Posts
    • 6,203 Thanks
    • #4
    • 24th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • #4
    • 24th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    the helpsheet might help you understand it a bit more?

    see the employee section starting at the bottom of page 16 for explanations in respect of claiming for the initial purchase cost of tools.

    There is a helpsheet for each tax year, although in your context not much will change year on year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,151Posts Today

8,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

  • It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book

  • Follow Martin