Wedding with no evening function?

Was just looking at this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5063009, some good ideas on there. I have another question, which is about having a wedding with afternoon function but then having nothing in the evening. So it would all be done and dusted by about 5 or 6PM.

Is that an odd thing these days? If your family/friends were getting married would you expect an evening 'do'?

Comments

• ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    :beer:
    Was just looking at this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5063009, some good ideas on there. I have another question, which is about having a wedding with afternoon function but then having nothing in the evening. So it would all be done and dusted by about 5 or 6PM.

Is that an odd thing these days? If your family/friends were getting married would you expect an evening 'do'?

I wouldn't find it odd at all. Friends of mine were married in a registry office early on a Weds afternoon then we went on to a hall for the reception and we left about 6pm.

They had always intended to have a smallish wedding (50-ish guests) so they didn't need to split their guest list into those who were attending the wedding and wedding breakfast and those who were coming only in the evening. I suppose if your guest list runs into hundreds as some do then you would have to differentiate.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Your wedding, your arrangements.

As long as the invitations make it clear how the day will be laid out, everyone will know what to expect.
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    My idea of perfection!
  • If people are coming a long way they may expect something to do in the evening.

I think it's okay if you say "anyone staying after 6 pm can join us in the Ferret & Tricycle" and perhaps the best man or someone can organise the group if the married couple and immediate family want to leave early.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If people are coming a long way they may expect something to do in the evening.

We had an afternoon do so that people could go home - saved them all having to pay for a hotel.
  • skimper
    skimper Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My friend got married at 4, then had a sit down meal & photos. all done with by about 8pm then people were free to go or stay for a few drinks. It was a lovely chilled out day.
  • We also had an afternoon do: all done and dusted in 3 hours from walking in to get married to leaving for our hotel: bliss.

You can do what ever you like, it's your wedding. We kept it small (40 guests for afternoon tea) and stress free.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    We also had an afternoon do: all done and dusted in 3 hours from walking in to get married to leaving for our hotel: bliss.

You can do what ever you like, it's your wedding. We kept it small (40 guests for afternoon tea) and stress free.

Likewise - and as someone else said - Perfection.

Concentrate on the wedding and your commitment to one another.

Yes to a family afternoon . I don't see the point in paying for an evening party which will be just another party.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Your wedding so do whatever makes you happiest!

I would just say, as others have said, to make it clear to people what the plan for the day is. We had a family wedding where many had travelled long distances so had to stay over - after a meal in the early afternoon the bride and groom left an hour or so later and we were all left wondering what to do with ourselves!

W ended up having to pay for a pretty expensive and not particularly great meal in the hotel where the wedding had been as we were sort of in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't a problem that they did this, just if we had known the arrangements we might have planned something else for all the family and friends who were staying up. :)
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thanks for all the replies. Would definitely be clear about 'running order' so all the guests would know exactly what was planned. If people did want to stay nearby, we do live in a large town so there'd be things for them to do. It's just an idea at the moment and wanted to see if it was a daft one :o. And yes, I totally get the 'our wedding, do what WE want' thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure