Moral Dilemma

Options
Hi All,

I have got myself into some credit card debt, it's £2800 but it's at 0% until January next year. I'm paying it back at £65 a month.

I am on a decent wage bringing in £2200 a month with minimal expenses (husband pays the bills) but due to a recent employee tribunal and crippling childcare costs of £900 a month (which will last until my youngest leaves nursery in 2 years), I am £1700 in my (authorised) overdraft.

I want to get this debt paid off and I can afford to pay £500 a month. So do I..

1. Wait for my wage to go in which will take me (temporarily) £500 in the black, but then when childcare comes out, I'll be -£400, then the cc takes me to -£460 - then try and spend as little as possible, creeping out of debt that way but only taking the min off my cc

2. Take out a loan to clear the lot at 3.6% APR for £5,000 then pay that off at £500 a month over 10 months (I'd still be in debt but the APR on the loan is less that of my overdraft, and I could cut the cc up)

3. I have a savings account with £6000 in it but it's money I've saved for my 2 young children (both under 6). Do I borrow that, pay the debts off and then repay it over 10 months (I'd never ever be reckless and spend it on anything else). My plan is in 2 years to pay in £500 a month anyway when the childcare costs end, so I'd just be doing it a bit sooner. I feel awful thinking of this but they want for nothing, they don't know they have the money and it seems ridiculous taking a loan when I have this savings account, though the money isn't morally mine.

What should I do :(

Comments

• Jenjenjen17
    Jenjenjen17 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 17 July 2017 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Hi Lavender

This seems like a no brainer to me, get any interest accruing debt payed off with your savings otherwise you are paying unnecessary interest and will cost you more in the long run.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have 6 months of 0% on the CC and can afford to pay £500 per month. 6 x £500 = £3,000, which is slightly more than the CC debt. Therefore, you'll have cleared the debt before it costs you any money - seems like a no-brainer to me.

You can then put that £500 per month into getting out of the overdraft - but this time next year you'll be out of the red completely, without taking on any more debts, or "borrowing" from the children. What's not to like?
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the overdraft interest free?

If the overdraft is interest free then as follows

£1700 overdraft debt - at £500 a month, this will be gone in Sept (or Oct)

£500 a month then goes towards the credit card - so Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan - that's £200 of it gone before the end of the interest free period

That only leaves £800 - so pay this out of your savings before the end of the interest free period
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    I think people have missed the bit about your overdraft having an APR, meaning it's not interest free.

So, a hybrid solution.

1: Use your savings to clear the Overdraft, saving any interest.

2: Pay the £500p/m into the CC and clear it before the 0% expires.

3: Then continue saving for the children.

You say that childcare is "crippling", yet if you bring in £2,200 yourself and have little other expenses to worry about, where's the money going? There's £1,300 p/m unaccounted for here.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Move the child to a cheaper nursery?

Use a child minder instead?

Where is the rest of the money going?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    and don't put anything else on the CC! :)
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Use the savings to pay the overdraft off and repay it over the 10 months or whatever. No brainer. After all the money was used for childcare so not totally unrelated to your children.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Number75
    Number75 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's no moral dilemma here.
    Would be, if the £6K was grandparent birthday gifts, or similar.
    This is your money that you've saved for the kids but now can't afford. No more a moral dilemma than if you were saving for a car then needed a boiler instead.

Clear the debt with YOUR savings.

But do work out why on £2200 with minimal outgoings except the £900 nursery, you can do this without touching the savings.

If you've £1300 to spare every month, you should cut back and have that overdraft paid off in two months.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As above have said, but also: cut up the credit card, and reduce the overdraft down as you clear it off. If your budget works and you have the amount of cash each month that you think you do, then all you need in the way of an OD is a "buffer" to avoid unauthorised charges if a credit goes in a bit later than expected or a debt comes out a bit earlier.

I guess the question is - DO you have the amount of spare cash each month that you think you do?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business