Job advert wording

Options
Having not been shortlisted for a job where my experience should have meant that I was, I strongly suspect they have an internal candidate they already knew they wanted to appoint even before the job was advertised.

I wish job adverts were like car adverts: when someone is a dealer they have to put "T" for trader at the end of their ad. I think job adverts should have to say IC at the end to warn you they have an internal candidate in mind.

Seems daft to have a law that says they must advertise when it just wastes everybody's time.

Comments

• gonthemicrobe
    Options
    Yeah this is infuriating. It seems especially common in the public sector, where the jobs also require a lengthy and time-consuming application form.

There's been interviewees coming in recently for a vacancy at my current job and I feel bad for them. They look like they're putting an effort in but unbeknown to them they have almost 0% chance of getting the job due to an internal candidate.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    There is no law that says they must advertise.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Having not been shortlisted for a job where my experience should have meant that I was, "

You may have been the least experienced of all the candidates.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    There is no law that says they must advertise.

The civil service has a "legal requirement that selection for appointment to the Civil Service must be on merit on the basis of fair and open competition."

http://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/civil-service-recruitment/

but even then, outside the Senior Civil Service (ie Sir Humphry level) they can advertise internally before looking externally

AFAIK nobody else does. Some employers may have their own internal policy to do so or mistakenly believe they have a legal obligation to do so
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure