advice on new job - asking for more money

I've been invited via email to attend a second interview, but they have mentioned the salary already. They say the budget is tight and they wouldn't want to waste my time if it is not something I can work with. They are looking to pay a salary being £5,000 less than I would like and that if I am still interested in the position they'd like to arrange a second interview.

I'm really interested in the job but would like more information on if there are any other benefits but also how do I politely ask for more without them being put off?!

Thank you.

Comments

• I've been invited via email to attend a second interview, but they have mentioned the salary already. They say the budget is tight and they wouldn't want to waste my time if it is not something I can work with. They are looking to pay a salary being £5,000 less than I would like and that if I am still interested in the position they'd like to arrange a second interview.

I'm really interested in the job but would like more information on if there are any other benefits but also how do I politely ask for more without them being put off?!

Thank you.

They are aware the salary is low so if there are other significant benefits they would have mentioned them.

Are you interested at the low salary or not?
  • toshkininny
    toshkininny Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I might be but not if the salary will be staying the same for the next five years or so. If I accept the salary I will be taking a step back, as I just want to equal want I am being paid at the moment. The salary was not mentioned in the ad at the time.
  • Then just go back and tell them that. Why are you worrying about them being "put off"? They seem to have put their cards on the table and said they are not prepared to pay more, so you do the same.

Remember before taking it however that verbal promises on salary increases are worthless. Managers change.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A job is more than salary, there is also travel time, benefits, company profile, colleagues. Also those can be good and bad. Normally you'd move for a better salary as you are now pretty much without employment protection for 2 years, so 5 k loss is worse because of loss of service.

If you need then job then that is one thing, if you don't then know what you are worth and look for the position that matches that. If money is this tight now then they may promise more but likely won't deliver - it could take you years to recover that 5k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure