CGT liability during period of non-residence

I have been living and working in the (CGT-free) Middle East for many years. During that time I purchased some offshore unit trusts. I now plan to return to the UK. Will any future UK CGT liability be based on the increase in value over my total period of ownership or just the period while I am UK tax resident? For example:
  • In 2010 I purchased a number of shares at £100 each (while tax resident in the Middle East)
  • In 2017 I become tax resident in the UK and the shares are now worth £120 each.
  • In 2020 (while still tax resident in the UK) I sell the shares for £130 each
Will my gain (for UK CGT purposes) be £30 per share or £10 per share? I assume it will be £30 per share. If so, are there any measures I can take (other than selling the shares) prior to my becoming UK tax resident to reduce the subsequent CGT liability?

Comments

• Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Are these reporting or non-reporting funds?
  • SYTax
    SYTax Posts: 12 Forumite
    Assuming you are UK domicile, if you sell while UK resident you will be subject to UK tax on the full profit (£30 per share in your example).

Whether the fund is reporting or non-reporting will decide whether his is income or a capital gain.

I can't think of any other steps except selling before becoming UK resident. You could always buy again (wait 30 days after sale) if you really want to hold those particular funds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure