Widower mortgage crisis.

Please help!
My mum is about to pass away and my brothers and I are trying to sort my father's finances out as my mum handled them solely and secretly.

The have a mortgage which is interest only and is due to end in 7 years. The balance is still £90,000 and he has no savings.

The problem is he's in a right pickle. My brother has enquired into another mortgage but apparently he is struggling to find one. He has decided our only option is for him to buy it at half the price. Is there anyone that could help me please.

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2017 at 2:55PM
    Who owns the house now ... mum , dad or mum & dad ?

If they both do is it as joint tenants or tenants in common ?

When this mortgage was taken out, what was the plan for repaying the capital ? Is there any insurance in place ?

House value now ?

Has your mother made a will - who is the executor named as ? What is the value of her estate likely to be ?

Selling to your brother for half the value is not a good idea (except for your brother potentially) - how does that pay back the £90k ?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Selling the house for half the mortgage balance in the hope the debt is written off by the lender is a VERY risky strategy - that is what I am assuming you are thinking, but I could be reading it wrong.

I think the most important question is whos name is the Mortgage in - mum and dad or mum or dad.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    MrsM15 wrote: »
    Please help!
    My mum is about to pass away and my brothers and I are trying to sort my father's finances out as my mum handled them solely and secretly.

The have a mortgage which is interest only and is due to end in 7 years. The balance is still £90,000 and he has no savings.

The problem is he's in a right pickle. My brother has enquired into another mortgage but apparently he is struggling to find one. He has decided our only option is for him to buy it at half the price. Is there anyone that could help me please.

Why ???????
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Why ???????

So he can benefit solely at a cheap price too
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    MrsM15, sorry you are joining MSE forum at such a difficult time in your life and with such a difficult predicament.

My initial thoughts would be to put this out of your mind for a few months and concentrate on those nearest and dearest to you, a few months won't matter in the scheme of things. Also your father may have different ideas about living in the house over the next year. It may be just as well to take stock in a few months time than rush to make decisions now.
    Even if in a few months time the property ownership is not as you all would have desired, you can make a deed of variation to a will (indeed even if there wasn't a will) to change the ownership to suit the situation that then presents itself.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your situation.
    As mentioned above was there any insurance policy designed to pay off the mortgage (if you don't know looking at bank statements for direct debits you don't recognise/ insurance companies is a starting point).

Was your mum in work or claiming a pension? Had she paid into a pension in the past? A pension not yet claimed may offer a lump sum or a pension in payment may offer a half pension for a spouse.

I agree with the poster that at the current time this is not immediately urgent so concentrate on your mum and dad and take your time to help your dad consider all options. If your dad can continue to pay the mortgage, perhaps with the help of you and your siblings that will be the main thing for now.

Tlc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport