traditional range products/Astral

Options
It's a bit of a minority market but I've been using Boots traditional cold cream for many years, and was disappointed to see it's now been discontinued.

Somebody mentioned to me a product called Astral, which appears to be similar: an old-fashioned no-nonsense skin cream which can be used as a cleanser and make-up remover. I believe they sell it in Superdrug.

mOjHK0zHYfXwJiOKX1V-TPw.jpg

Has anybody used this? I would be interested to know what it's like.

Comments

• DollyDee_2
    DollyDee_2 Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used it years & years ago. From memory it's similar to the Nivea Creme in a tub.
  • Bathory
    Bathory Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I sometimes use Astral at night (mostly in the Winter months) but not all the time as my skin is problematic. I have also used it to take makeup off. Superdrug often has it at half price and a little pot then is only around 60p so not much to lose if it doesn't suit you.

I always apply it lightly otherwise it can be greasy.
  • Dclutterchique
    Options
    When you say Boots Traditional Cold Cream has been discontinued, do you mean http://www.boots.com/boots-traditional-skin-care-moisturising-cream-with-vitamins-a-and-e-200ml-10002557 which has been discontinued or http://www.boots.com/boots-traditional-skin-care-skin-cream-200ml-10002554 which still appears to be available?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Neither of those, Dclutterchique. This is the one I'm referring to

20160721_172820-e1469115522606-225x300.jpg

Possibly they are going to discontinue the whole range at some point. The products have (or had) a small but very loyal customer base.
  • Dclutterchique
    Dclutterchique Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 July 2017 at 3:27PM
    Options
    Fair enough, the cold cream has definitely gone, hasn't it? Because the description and some reviews mentioned using the Skin Cream as a cleanser I didn't know if it was the Cold Cream under a different name. I'm sure there must be something out there to replace the cold cream without being a silly price.

ETA
    Just had a nose around and found http://www.pakcosmetics.com/brand/valley-of-the-sun/herbal-creams/hollywood-style-cleansing-cold-cream-with-vitamin-c.html Would this be any good? If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the 'Contact Us' link it will bring up a list of their branches. I admit they are very London centric, so may not be of any use if your in another part of the country
  • System
    edited 10 July 2017 at 6:28PM
    Options
    Bathory wrote: »
    I sometimes use Astral at night (mostly in the Winter months) but not all the time as my skin is problematic. I have also used it to take makeup off. Superdrug often has it at half price and a little pot then is only around 60p so not much to lose if it doesn't suit you.

I got a small tub of it in Superdrug today for £1.20. It's quite strongly perfumed. I like the fragrance, but I used to use cold cream as an eye make up remover and I wonder if this product will be too perfumed for that.
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Should be fine. I have used Nivea for years and always go back to it even after Clinique etc eye make up remover. I think I'm a bit lazy and like using one thing for everything and also have used it so long I miss it if I change.
  • mrschaucer
    mrschaucer Posts: 953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you ever tried Ponds? An oldie but a goodie.
    http://www.boots.com/ponds-cold-cream-cleanser-50ml-10112469
  • System
    Options
    Yes, Ponds is ok. Not as good value for money as the Boots cold cream or the Astral, but it does the job :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure