Dental implant complications

Hello,

Just a gentle general question that if anyone has any experience with please leave a comment.

I am due to have an implant placed next month for a tooth that has been missing for 10 years. I had a scan which showed bone was OK. I'm worried that because it's been missing for so long they will hit a nerve and ruin sensation in my face. I asked if this is possible and apparently it will be fine and no bone graft is needed. Does this sound normal?

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Sounds perfectly reasonable. If the practice has done the scan, they can see all this.

As no one on here has seen you or any scan of you - then nothing useful can be added by us!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Simba-ali34
    Simba-ali34 Posts: 228 Forumite
    Thank you for the reply,

I was just paranoid because 10 years is a long time to be missing a tooth and was thinking a bone graft would be necessary.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 27 June 2017 at 10:27AM
    Sometimes they are, sometimes there's enough. You have to just assess the patient you can see in front of you.

I've just had a patient fitted with an implant retained bridge more than 30 yrs after she lost the teeth in the area. No graft necessary.

Implants can be a lot smaller nowadays - the great wads of bone that used to be needed aren't always necessary now. But - everyone is different, and individual advice pertaining to your case is always far more important than the very general advice that can be given over the internet.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • mjmal51
    mjmal51 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for the reply,

I was just paranoid because 10 years is a long time to be missing a tooth and was thinking a bone graft would be necessary.
    I had an implant 5 years ago, trouble free, and tooth had been missing for 40 years. No bone graft just straightforward implant procedure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure