Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • alberesford88
    • By alberesford88 16th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    reclaim incorrect marriage allowance
    • #1
    • 16th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    reclaim incorrect marriage allowance 16th Jun 17 at 5:09 PM
    Two years ago, my wife transferred 10% of her tax free allowance to me as she wasn't in employment and I am earning over the threshold.

    Recently I have been looking into why I pay so much tax and realized that HMRC have set up the marriage allowance the wrong way round. Therefore, I have been paying more tax, not less for the last two years!

    I have cancelled the allowance now and they will refund the difference to April this year. But not for the full two years that I have overpaid. There quick enough to take it off you, but less than helpful to give it back.

    Do I have a right to claim it back and does anyone know how? when I speak to people on the HMRC phone line say I cant.

    Please help someone.
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 16th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • #2
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    You shouldn't even be able to get the extra back for this year according to Remember at the moment YOU are the transferor.

    If your circumstances change

    You or your partner can cancel Marriage Allowance online. You!!!8217;ll be asked to prove your identity using information HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) holds about you.

    The date the allowance ends depends on who cancels it.

    If you stop transferring the allowance to your partner, it will run until the end of the tax year (5 April).

    If your partner asks to stop receiving your allowance, HMRC will backdate the change to the start of the tax year you first started transferring it.

    You need to get your partner to cancel it. A t the moment she is the one receiving the allowance so the final paragraph applies.

    Once she has done that your wife needs to apply for Marriage Allowance. She might I need
    a to make a three a applications,, one for 2015:16,, one for 2016:17 and one for this year which will then carry on in the future.
    • haggishopper
    • By haggishopper 16th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    can I suggest that you write formally to HMRC and give as much detail as you can
    as it can make a huge difference for your case to be dealt with by them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,233Posts Today

7,228Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin