Going Self employed

Options
I'm just looking into the possibility of becoming self employed. I am looking at running a small homeboarding business from home, (it wont be the households main income, my partner works full time and pays the bills ) I want to earn a little money whilst I'm at home

my question is surrounding the rules of being self employed as I don't want to start it off wrong,

I know I need to register with HMRC , that's a given
my question is around National Insurance mainly
I anticipate earnings to be around £7,000 per year so under the tax threshold but want to make sure I Pay the right National Insurance
and what things can I claim back as business costs
sorry if these questions are easy for some , but want to make sure I do this right from the beginning, any help would be appreciated

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    There are quite a few useful bits of info in the bottom half of post 1 in this thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5159122
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure