Gym weights knowledge

Options
I want to learn more about weights and cutting and shreading. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

im sick of cardio in the gym and want to do weights. Havent a clue where to start

Comments

• parking_question_chap
    Options
    Reducing body fat: Reduce junk food and do some HIIT, if you are doing it right it should be pretty damn exhausting.

Adding muscle, Personally I would start off with 2 or 3 days a week full body. Each session maybe pick 3 from deadlift, squat, benchpress, shoulder press, rows and dips. Then perhaps a couple of isolation exercises (google them) to finish off.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally if you have no knowledge,I would consider a few PT sessions to get you on the right track.
    Sadly my knee wont take it anymore but loved heavy lifting/squatting on the bars.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you don't want to think, try the StrongLifts 5×5 App

There's a free and paid for version.
  • Lukoind
    Lukoind Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    You should look up on youtube, you can find there plenty of stuff there by typing, what you want, like entering keyword: cutting shred
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with a few PT sessions to get a program & learn technique, and also with parking. Glad to see another female wants to lift, I love it!
  • regprentice
    regprentice Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

As parking question chap recommends - compound excersises are the place to start with weights. Dont have to do many different excersises to see results. Maybe 5 combination s a session

Your gym staff should at least be able to give you an intro session on their machines or equipment?

Cardio has its place...i do 20 mins treadmill to warm.up and burn cals...then do 30 mins weights and finish with ten mins on the towing machine.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cardio is good if HIIT but lifting will burn more calories overall, and is more fun (for me anyway lol)
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Love NerdFitness! Female powerlifter here :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Jaguar_Skills
    Options
    Agree with the above. Full body is the way forward.
  • Kojak12
    Kojak12 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    You can do HIT/circuits - there are loads of good 20 - 40 min videos on youtube. The other alternative is a weights program. If you do the right one and supplement your diet with protein shakes you can build muscle pretty fast. The 5x5 system is popular for a reason, it seems to work and be easy for people to do consistently. There is an excellent facebook group you can join - lots of tips, support and motivating posts on there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/stronglifts/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure