PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

edible glitter flakes for jam

Options
I'm hoping someone here can help...
Made raspberry and prosecco jam with edible glitter, glitter came from the hobby shop but was like dust and either disappeared or clumped.

Can anybody advise me either where to get the bigger flakes or how to get this right please?

The raspberries came from my garden, I used jam sugar and 150ml of prosecco. The jam is absolutely delicious, :) and the leftover wine was as well.:rotfl::rotfl:
Thanks Caz
Saving for another hound :j
:staradmin from Sue-UU
SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27

Comments

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thank you, sounds delicious - am hoping someone can answer as I'd be interested in making this too. :)
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hartleys do a pack of jelly with edible glitter in - you could maybe stir a pack in (and you wouldn't have to worry about a set !!)
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    grandmasam wrote: »
    and the leftover wine was as well.
    What is this leftover prosecco of which you speak? ;)

Tiptree does a lovely raspberry and Drambuie jam, btw. Most excellent on scones. (Can take the girl out of Essex, but you can't take the Essex out of the girl :D).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • grandmasam
    grandmasam Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'll give the jelly a try and maybe that'll work.

VFM I do have some Drambuie in the cupboard so another way to preserve the raspberries that's different....leftover prosecco ?? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Caz
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    grandmasam wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone here can help...
    Made raspberry and prosecco jam with edible glitter, glitter came from the hobby shop but was like dust and either disappeared or clumped.

Can anybody advise me either where to get the bigger flakes or how to get this right please?

The raspberries came from my garden, I used jam sugar and 150ml of prosecco. The jam is absolutely delicious, :) and the leftover wine was as well.:rotfl::rotfl:
    Thanks Caz

I saw a huge variety of things like that on the shelves of T*sco and a few less in Wait*ose - I spent ages looking at them all as I was fascinated. Home baking sections.

Good luck!
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    the glittery jelly isn't really glittery!

it is more iridescent and a bit tasteless and rubbery!

sorry!

I'd be interested in finding out about decent sized edible glitter too!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem with edible glitter is that most of it is made of gum arabic mixed with colourings. It's water soluble, so it will just dissolve if you stir it into jam. There was a bit of a 'thing' about this a while back as a lot of what was being sold as 'edible' was actually just 'non-toxic' - so whilst it wouldn't kill you it's not technically designed to be eaten. A lot of the 'non-toxic' stuff (glitters, disco dusts etc) is made of metals and plastics and so it just passes though you, it was sold with the idea that you'll be eating so little that it's unlikely to do you any harm.

For something like jam, an expensive but non-toxic solution would be to buy some pure gold leaf and then stir it in when the jam's cooled a bit. You wouldn't need a massive amount, and you'll get some twinkles that won't melt. Pure gold leaf is non-toxic in the sense that it'll just pass through you - pharmacists used to coat pills in gold and silver so that unpleasant tastes were hidden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure