Groomsmen outfits

Options
Hi all

My brother's wedding is in September this year. We are just looking at suits and I am appauled at the costs of hiring! In one store today (Greenwoods) they had tailcoat for hire at £130 inc trousers, waistcoat, shirt and tie......Then on the rails had a very similar suit, same material nearly identical colour, for sale at £117!!! didn't include the shirt and tie but was a nice 3 piece suit. My brother is adament on tails for himself but these suits wouldn't quite match exactly with his.

I don't think I have ever hired anything in my life other than maybe a car on holiday and would much prefer to buy the suit to wear in the future. I am getting married next year and would be happy to wear the same suit for that.

Does anyone know of a place that sells maybe ex hire suits? or any other options so as not to spend over £500 on 4 suits to wear for a day? We would be happy to pay around £150 per suit to buy.

Many thanks

Comments

• ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We got suits for all the men from M&S at around £150 each (2 piece). It worked for us as we didn't want tails / morning coat anyway.

If you have a Slater's locally (www.slaters.co.uk) that's worth a look, hubby has bought a DJ from there more recently for £100.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could always wait for the next sale
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope your brother is paying for your suit hire?

Try local independent men's clothes store - I think the mens suit hire at our wedding was around £70 each

Debenhams also stat from £70 for a 3 piece suit
    http://www.debenhams-formalhire.com/media/1391/14445-debenhams-price-lists.pdf

Also do you have a moss brothers outlet shop near you, as you get good deals in them to buy the suits
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hope you did not go with Greenwoods, now in adminstration - I am having to find replacement suits with 6 weeks to go and lost £400 to boot
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Both articles I've read say they are continuing to trade.

BBC 2 days ago:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-41202821
    Menswear and formal hire firm Greenwoods has gone into administration.

The company, which has its headquarters in Bradford, has 63 stores and two concessions across the UK and employs around 318 people. It has an annual turnover of £20m.
    Administrators Deloitte said they were "assessing options" and no redundancies had been confirmed.

It will continue to trade for the immediate future, a spokesman said.
    What did they say to you?
  • skimper
    Options
    You can also ring the Scottish supplier who supply Greenwoods. They will honour the deal you had with them - but you will need to pay postage for them to send the suits & also postage to send them back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure