BR and ad hoc child support

hi guys,
I am in the middle of going through my BR and on my initial application I noted that I receive £130 per month is child support.
However, this is very ad hoc, some months I get it and some months I don't. The CMS chase him and then I get it again for a bit and then he will miss a few payments and then pay the odd one again.
If the enforce it, he quits his job and pays nothing for a while and then may pay again.
The question I have is do I put this down as income or do I not and just inform the OR if and when he does pay as its so uncertain.
thanks again.
Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Kim

I would include details of any income received - however erratic and ad hoc it might be - in your application. When your application is subsequently passed through to the OR, they will be able to discuss matters like this in greater depth in your (most probably telephone) interview.

I can't speak for individual ORs as they will all have their own approaches to such situations, but it's reasonable to assume that they will ask you to keep them updated as you go along, so that they can then take a view on the level of any payments they expect you to make.

They may, of course, decide that even with child support taken into account there is not enough available to justify any income payments at all, in which case it won't make much difference from their perspective how reliable those child support payments are.

Hope that helps.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure