Right to buy help

Options
Hi everyone

I applied for a right to buy and got an offer. It has been really hard to get a mortgage in the current economic climate. I accepted the councils offer and gave the relevant paperwork the broker told me to. This did not include the original mortgage offer letter, which was mandatory.

By the time the offer letter came in the post, it was 3 days outside the time of the right to buy application and the council now refuse to sell because the application has expired.

If i apply again, the price will change. I will need a new mortgage the the property price may every well go up.

I am desperate, this is my only chance to own a home.

Is there anyway i can appeal so the council sell me the house.

Thank you for help everyone

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    if your unable to get a mortgage on the new price, your unable to buy it. You knew the time scales beforehand.

You can ask the council to consider, but they are not obliged to.

There is nothing wrong with a permanent roof over your roof and free council repairs with no risk of being evicted e.t.c. Owning a home isn't a right, but a privilege that is earnt.

However bare in mind buying a RTB mean 1 less house for someone who needs it more than you since you can buy a house on your own.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rahman1995 wrote: »
    If i apply again, the price will change. I will need a new mortgage the the property price may every well go up.

I am desperate, this is my only chance to own a home.

Is there anyway i can appeal so the council sell me the house.

Thank you for help everyone

There has been some reports about falling house prices.

It gives you time to reduce you monthly outgoings, pension payments, union subscription, reduced summer energy costs ..... and perhaps you have had a pay rise in April.

I am at the stage of applying for my mortgage, to buy my council house.
  • Nnenne1
    Nnenne1 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you don't reply to the council, they'll have to write to give, giving you a further 28days, this is according to Gov website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure