Purchase fell through at sellers fault

Options
Hi

I am currently in the process of buying a shared ownership property through a housing association, we had our offer accepted almost 6 months ago!

When we accepted the offer we were made aware that the house purchase may take a month longer than usual due to extra paper work for shared ownership but only in conversation. Since then my wife became pregnant which means we can't get a mortgage offer extension and deadline is about to be hit.

The issue is the seller but the property up for sale but the issues with the property not being a quick sale even though there was no chain is that the housing association went into this agreement before they had all the correct certification to sell the property. The house is not properly insured since being build and the warranty information is incorrect but the company tried to say that it will stand, there was also a piece of unadopted road outside the property, this should of been done years ago, we found out that it's the housing associations responsibility to contact the council and they haven't and since we started the council actually contacted them and they didn't respond.

We feel that because there was no chain and the property should not of been put up for sale unless it was ready for sale would hold them responsible because if the council don't get a response it could take another 6 months to adopt this road outside. How is that acceptable to keep someone waiting that long?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    Even if what you are saying is correct what exactly do you want to happen ?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm also confused about what advice you're seeking. It's not the housing association's fault that your wife is pregnant.

At least, I hope it isn't...
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why is the unadapted Road causing problems? Many housing developments have unadapted roads and this does not stop purchasing a house.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If England or Wales, unless you have exchanged contracts there is not a great deal you can do.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • rentmekid
    rentmekid Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    he he, now that's what im talking about
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    anything other than Exchange, you have no comeback. Knowing the house buying will take so long, you had choices as to whether you would have a child or not.

Ultimately the mortgage offer issues is not the council's problem. But rather a result of your life choices.

Personally i wouldn't touch Shared ownership, too many problems.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We feel that because there was no chain and the property should not of been put up for sale unless it was ready for sale would hold them responsible because if the council don't get a response it could take another 6 months to adopt this road outside.

The owner is entitled to put up for sale any of their assets when they wish.
    Since then my wife became pregnant which means we can't get a mortgage offer extension and deadline is about to be hit.

Your life choices mean this is your fault. no-one elses.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure