Mortgage for an agency worker on low income?

Options
Hello,

I'm currently an agency worker, earning £7.80 per hour full time, and I'm wandering if it would be possible for me to get a mortgage for a cheap property in Leeds?

Properties occasionally pop up for £30-50K in certain areas of Leeds (1 bed flats, 1 bed terrace back-to-backs etc), and these are the types of properties I'd be looking to buy. What also attracts me is that the mortgage will more than likely be cheaper or the same to what I'd be paying a landlord for somewhere half decent to live. Rents for decent flats in Leeds start at about £450pcm, and I reckon I could probably get a mortgage on a cheap property that is lower than this?

My situation is I'm pencilled in to work 36 hours per week (over 4 days), although some days can get cancelled, whilst at the same time overtime is mostly available over the 3 days I don't work. I also have a second job, on the agency at Royal Mail's mail centre, which pays around £12+ per hour, although there isn't much work available atm, and I only tend to get roughly 1 shift per month.

My take home pay most weeks is about £250-300, with the odd week a little higher.

I currently live with a family member, rent free, and due to this I should be able to save up the 10% deposit for a £30-50K property.

My question is: Do you think anybody would give me a mortgage?

PS - I have a brother who is a high earner living in London, who has offered to look at getting me a mortgage in his name, but in all honesty I would prefer to be able to stand on my own feet and get it myself.

Thanks, Warren
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport