Old CCJ, company changed ownership

Options
Steviebh
Steviebh Posts: 15 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 17 May 2017 at 3:28PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi,

Was hoping to get some help on what to do here.

I had a CCJ on file which was put there probably about 7 years ago now but a solicitors firm. I was making regular repayments before i lost my job and things ended up being forgotten about.

I not so long ago decided enough was enough and to sort my finances out and went to try and and contact the company to arrange repayments again only to notice they have now been taken over by another company.

I wrote to this new company and never heard anything back ? Should i keep pestering this new company ? I assume they would have taken all the accounts from the old place ?

I'd just like to add that just today i received a letter from a debt collecting about the debt aswel

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Steviebh

A CCJ can only stay on your credit reference file for 6 years from the date it was made. After that it must be removed but the debt will still exist. If this CCJ is still showing after 6 years contact the credit reference agencies and ask them to remove it.

Technically the company could take enforcement action if the debt is not being paid as the court directed. That is most commonly by using bailiffs or taking a deduction from your wage (if you are working) - however, they would need the court’s permission to do so more than 6 years after the judgment was made. If you own a property they can apply for a charging order to secure the debt, regardless of whether the debt is being paid. However given that the debt has been sold on and the company has not responded to your letter you may find further action is not taken.

You have a choice of whether to be proactive and keep contacting them to set up a payment plan, or let sleeping dogs lie and wait and see if you are contacted. Do you have a rough idea of how much you still owe on the debt? One option would be to start putting money aside so that if you are chased again for the debt you have money available to pay it.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Steviebh
    Steviebh Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Steviebh

A CCJ can only stay on your credit reference file for 6 years from the date it was made. After that it must be removed but the debt will still exist. If this CCJ is still showing after 6 years contact the credit reference agencies and ask them to remove it.

Technically the company could take enforcement action if the debt is not being paid as the court directed. That is most commonly by using bailiffs or taking a deduction from your wage (if you are working) - however, they would need the court’s permission to do so more than 6 years after the judgment was made. If you own a property they can apply for a charging order to secure the debt, regardless of whether the debt is being paid. However given that the debt has been sold on and the company has not responded to your letter you may find further action is not taken.

You have a choice of whether to be proactive and keep contacting them to set up a payment plan, or let sleeping dogs lie and wait and see if you are contacted. Do you have a rough idea of how much you still owe on the debt? One option would be to start putting money aside so that if you are chased again for the debt you have money available to pay it.

Susie
    @natdebtline

Many thanks for your response. Just to confirm it is 6 years after you last made contact with them or made a payment or just six years from when it was put on it.

How would i deal with the debt collector which is now chasing the debt. Do i deal with them ? It mentioned on the letter about the CCJ i have against the debt.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No, a judgement is on your file for 6 years, if a creditor wants to enforce it after this time, they have to seek the courts permission.

Usually, six years is concidered long enough to do this.

I would advise the debt collector of the above, you probebly won't hear from them again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Steviebh

The CCJ will be removed from your credit reference file 6 years after the date the CCJ was made.

As you are now being contacted by a debt collection agency (DCA) it sounds like they intend to pursue you. If you weren’t to pay the debt it would be down to the DCA to decide whether to pursue action through the county court. A judge would have to decide whether enforcement action after 6 years was reasonable.

If you want to rule out the possibility of enforcement action you can apply to the county court to set up a payment plan. There is a factsheet that explains how to do that here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/varyingpaymentsonaccj/instalmentsonaccj.aspx.

Your alternative is to wait and see what the DCA does.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure