++ Re-Mortgage Advice ++

Options
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time on any kind of forum let alone a financial guidance one, however I am hoping there is some balanced opinions to my current situation.

In Brief . . .

I have an interest only mortgage with £143k outstanding. House is valued at £180k.
Total debt to date £25k (includes credit cards and one store card).
I would like to re-mortgage to a interest + repayment and borrow £25k to wipe out the debt.
I have 'never' missed a payment, I have no CCJ's or defaults but credit score is around 340 due to relatively high credit.
I have looked at some lenders and based on a fixed interest rate I can afford a £800 monthly repayment.
Is it worth trying to re-mortgage based on my current financial situation ?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You are unlikely to be able to obtain a mortgage for 90%+ for debt consolidation.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    What are the current rates on the mortgage and CC debt?
  • Nick_00
    Nick_00 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Mr Ginge,

Interest only mortgage as per Bank of England + 2%
    Card 1 = APR frozen at 16.9%
    Card 2 = APR at 16%
    Card 3 = APR at 21%
    Store Card = APR at 16%
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May 2017 at 6:58AM
    Options
    What about your employment? Permanent, temporary, secured? What is the income?
  • Nick_00
    Options
    Thank you for the reply xyz,

Permanent
    Gross £56k
  • fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Nick_00 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply Mr Ginge,

Interest only mortgage as per Bank of England + 2%
    Card 1 = APR frozen at 16.9%
    Card 2 = APR at 16%
    Card 3 = APR at 21%
    Store Card = APR at 16%

Can any of these cards (amounts?) be balance transferred onto a new 0% interest rate card? Or will credit history prevent anything like that?
    Loads of info. on stuff like that under Cards and Loans at top left of home page.

fc
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you're looking to remortgage £168k on a £180k property, giving a 93% LTV. This would attract the highest interest rates and be subject to the strictest affordability criteria. The top mortgage on the MSE comparison tool is a 2.79% interest rate and carries a £1,200 fee. You would pay £780 monthly.

Currently, you have a 2.25% interest rate so paying £270 monthly. Can you afford the extra £1200 upfront + £510 monthly? If you can, I’d throw all this at the credit cards. For simplicity assuming 17% interest across the cards and lets say you pay the 12x£510 at the end of the year rather than monthly (which is a conservative approx.), you’d pay off the balance in 6 years. This will shorten substantially if you have more funds you can use to pay it off early. Also if you can balance transfer to a 0% interest card for a couple of years, that will massively increase how much of your funds go to the initial capital instead of interest. Once you’ve paid off the unsecured debt, you can start overpaying the mortgage (many allow 10% per year)

If you go the remortgage route, you’ll increase your interest rate for the current £143k balance (as you’re unlikely to get as low as 2.25% on a high LTV mortgage) and be tied into higher monthly payments. Interest only gives the flexibility of overpaying when you can, with a low risk of default if you have difficulty paying.
  • Nick_00
    Options
    Many thanks Saajan...

If I understand you correctly, clear the credit cards with the money I would be paying for re-mortgage ? Keep the interest only mortgage for now ?

You're right I am paying £263 (interest only) but I could afford the £780 pm. It's the credit cards and store card that are killing me each month totalling £600 pm.

My thought process was to increase the long term debt over 25years i.e. £168k at a lowish interest rate, that would clear the £25k debt and free up £600 each month...That's the theory anyway.

Help and advice genuinely appreciated.
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With that much income and interest only mortgage you should really be able to reduce credit card debt fairly quickly. I would suggest you reduce that debt substantially in next 3-5 months and re look at situations. If you need advice on debt, post on debt free wannabe board here including a full monthly statement of affairs (templates available in that forum). Good luck
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with xyz123. 56k income and a tiny mortgage, yet £600 CC bill is killing you?

What are you spending your remaining 2.5k a month on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure