APR vs Flat Rate Calculations

Options
YorkshireBoy
YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Hope I'm posting on the correct board with this one?

My brother has been out and bought himself a brand new motorbike - a major disappointment for the family.

We're keen (for various reasons) to find out exactly what he's committed to financially.

I believe, although he wouldn't confirm exactly, that the list price is around £8.5K and he's paying for it over 4 years with finance from the supplying dealer. Lets assume he's put down a basic £99 deposit.

He says that he's got a "flat rate of 2.99% which equates to an APR of 6.3%", and that it was cheaper than a bank loan! When I said that he would end up paying over £10K, he disagreed and said the total paid will be about £9.1K. I think this is rubbish and the actual total paid will be much higher, but I don't know how to work it out!

I need to know, please...

1/ The approximate monthly payments.

2/ The approximate total paid over the 4 year term.

Any help with formulae, or web links to calculators would be a great help.

Many thanks in advance

YB

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Sorry, posted the above in a "spur of the moment" fit of anger (like I said, family very disappointed).

I've just had a look on https://www.moneysupermarket.com and it appears the AA have 4 year unsecured loans at 6.3% APR. His £8.5K loan works out at...

48 monthly payments of...£ 200.11
    Charge for credit............£1,105
    Total amount payable......£9,605

Now I just need to understand what the difference is between APR and flat rate, and also try and check that the payments are fixed (as opposed to variable) by asking him when I've calmed down a bit?
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you saying those are HIS repayments? They aren't exactly the AA ones, but they are almost identical, and that would suggest that his rate is indeed the 6.3% APR that he quotes.

2.99% flat is consistent with 6.3% APR.

Have you considered that he may genuinely be getting some manufacturer sponsored low interest rate on his bike? It does happen.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think 'flat rate' is not a common term for UK.
    HERE you can find a definition:

'Flat rate is the fixed rate charged on the full amount financed for the entire hire purchase term.'

So, even when amount of the loan decreases as a result of repayments, you still pay 2.99% p.a. on the full initial amount. If you recalculate this interest rate to the actual decreasing amount you will get higher rate. Very roughly, the average amount of the loan during its term is a half of the initial amount and resulting AER is about twice as much: 3%*2=6%. This is quite close to 6.3%.

P.S. I think 'flat rate' term is used because it is easy to calculate the total amont of interest paid over the full term of loan: 2.99%*4=11.96% of the amount borrowed.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The figures I quoted above were copied and pasted from https://www.moneysupermarket.com for an £8.5K loan from the AA - he hasn't said what/who he's paying, although I suspect you're correct in that its a manufacturer/dealer sponsored finance deal.

I just need (out of my own interest - pardon the pun!) to know how 2.99% flat rate becomes 6.3% APR.
  • MarkyMarkD
    Options
    Grumbler, flat rate is a term used all the time - but nearly restricted to car (and now, I presume, bike) dealers. But your explanation of how c.3% gets to be c.6% APR is spot on. :)
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be dissapointed if a family member borrowed that sort of money but I wouldn't get stressed or wound up about it. There's ultimately nothing wrong with a loan at a fairly decent rate of interest to buy something tangible. This isn't like taking out a consolidation loan to pay off credit cards and the like, for which there is usually little to show.

I'd leave it for six months then quietly find out if your brother is making the payments without any problems, not running up CC bills on top or generally financially deteriorating. If not thats fine. If there are problems you can be in a position to give considered advice.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote:
    Grumbler, flat rate is a term used all the time - but nearly restricted to car (and now, I presume, bike) dealers. But your explanation of how c.3% gets to be c.6% APR is spot on. :)

Is it not an explanation of how the 3% Flat Rate equates to an AER of 6% rather than to an APR which is a bird of a different plumage.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • dag_2
    dag_2 Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    Is it not an explanation of how the 3% Flat Rate equaters to an AER of 6% rather than to an APR which is a bird of a different plumage.
    I thought that AER and APR are conceptually very similar ....

An "AER" is usually used to describe savings accounts, rather than loans. It's the amount of interest you'd have on your balance after a year, if you redeposited any mid-year interest payments you'd received, and interest was compounded through to the end of the year.

"APR" is used to describe loans - not savings - but it's a comparable way of describing the cost of borrowing. Interest is treated as compounded for the purpose of APR calculations, even if they're not compounded in practice. And all fees are treated as though they're an interest payment.

Put it another way - if you could take a loan advance and put it straight into a savings account, and make all the loan repayments directly out of that savings account - and the APR of the loan and AER of the savings account were the same - then, when the loan term is finished, the savings account balance should be zero. If the savings AER is bigger than the loan APR, then you should have some money left over - technically, this is known as "stoozing". But in practice, savings AER's are usually smaller than loan APR's.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that, anyone.

Anyway - I think that when grumbler said AER, he probably meant APR. And like MMD says, grumbler's explained a good, simple way of getting the approximate APR from the flat rate. :)
    :p
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grumbler wrote:
    P.S. I think 'flat rate' term is used because it is easy to calculate the total amont of interest paid over the full term of loan

Actually, it makes the figure appear lower, so borrowers think they are getting a better deal!

Banks (on interest-paying accounts) prefer to quote the AER rather than the gross rate for similar reasons!

Double standards!
  • MarkyMarkD
    Options
    Banks prefer to quote the AER because it's the only valid basis for comparison, Paul, not just because it's higher.

And I ignore the distinction between AER and APR - to anyone but a pedant, the difference doesn't matter. Both are the IRR (internal rate of return) of the cashflows, but AER is for savings and APR is for loans in general UK usage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure