Is my boss expecting too much from me too soon?

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You salary reflects these expectations. That's the part that comes with being a manager and differentiate you with those who are not. Initiative and confidence are the key drivers and they will be looking for some of these.

You shouldn't have to wait to be told you can shadow, you should be knowing exactly which meeting you want to shadow, approach the person chairing that meeting and telling them you were intending to join to shadow if that's ok with them.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    at 50k they will expect you to hit the ground running.

Exactly my thoughts too.
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Andrew_Ryan_89 Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    robatwork, I typed the post on my phone and reading it back it was full of typos. It has been fixed.

Thank you for the reply all. As mentioned before, I did a similar role for a year previously which paid near the same amount as this one and I got training and essentially given direction. I am also very careful not to bull !!!! on my CV or in an interview. I have the experience for the role but I don't have experience in the industry so need just a little nudge in the right direction.

For those talking about initiative, I have taken that on board and started forcing things through myself in regards to training and finding out stuff. That was not really the biggest problem though. Since I have started, I have organised meetings with some large business organisation and got moving on other stuff as well.

The main issue is that I think it is important, regardless of your experience, for you to know the companies workings. What you can offer, what you can't etc. Especially for me as I am in a new role (for the company), not from the industry and supposed to be partnering with my boss in getting this side of business development up and running. As I have done, I can hit the ground running and get a bunch of meetings in, but if you want them to be efficient, you need to be with me on at least the first one.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    robatwork, I typed the post on my phone and reading it back it was full of typos. It has been fixed.

Thank you for the reply all. As mentioned before, I did a similar role for a year previously which paid near the same amount as this one and I got training and essentially given direction. I am also very careful not to bull !!!! on my CV or in an interview. I have the experience for the role but I don't have experience in the industry so need just a little nudge in the right direction.

For those talking about initiative, I have taken that on board and started forcing things through myself in regards to training and finding out stuff. That was not really the biggest problem though. Since I have started, I have organised meetings with some large business organisation and got moving on other stuff as well.

The main issue is that I think it is important, regardless of your experience, for you to know the companies workings. What you can offer, what you can't etc. Especially for me as I am in a new role (for the company), not from the industry and supposed to be partnering with my boss in getting this side of business development up and running. As I have done, I can hit the ground running and get a bunch of meetings in, but if you want them to be efficient, you need to be with me on at least the first one.

Are you the OP?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with the others, you appear to require the "hand holding" that somebody on £18-32k would want/need. To have the company's brand stamped all the way through you and a written document to work to.

At £50k it's pretty much expected that you know what you have to do to get the business closed and deals done.... asking only the briefest of company terms/policy questions or technical questions about manufacture/process/components if it's a manufacturing business.

If you're flogging coffee machines to businesses then you should already have been out there and knocked those doors, contacted all your existing contacts/ex-clients and arranged to meet them, etc etc. The "standard stuff sales people at £50k do".
  • DCFC79
    edited 8 May 2017 at 10:05PM
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Are you the OP?

Im betting it is.

Lol he forgot he used a different username.

OP is this 1 of the jobs you were offered back in march ?
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    So that's two high paying jobs he's screwed
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So that's two high paying jobs he's screwed

At £50k/year though you can work just 9 months of the year and you're still on a good whack... so maybe that should be his strategy: Win £50k jobs with a view to managing to not be sacked for 3 months ... rinse and repeat. :)
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    At £50k/year though you can work just 9 months of the year and you're still on a good whack... so maybe that should be his strategy: Win £50k jobs with a view to managing to not be sacked for 3 months ... rinse and repeat. :)

Only so many naff references you can cover up though

His last £50k job he sat looking at the wall all day doing naff all

I sound harsh. I have sympathy for anyone who's struggling and really does look for help. Unfortunately I don't think Andrew is quite there
  • DCFC79
    edited 8 May 2017 at 10:07PM
    Options
    This a second job with targets, co you think you can do the job based on your past experience ?

OP your well aware you can be dismissed within the first 2 years so dont give them a reason to let you go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure