The Fun Starts Here.....

Hi!

I've been reading some of your inspiring MFW diaries and I thought I'd start my own, to keep me on track. My husband and I have just bought our house, first mortgage payment due on 25th April.

The mortgage is £115000 over 14 years but we'd like to pay it off much sooner if we can. Our initial plan is to make regular overpayments of £280 a month, to reduce the term to 10 years. We're also going to save more towards the mortgage as and when we can, aiming initially to save 1%. We've got just over £200 towards that already, mainly from cash back and skimming. As soon as we have that, we'll overpay it and start saving another 1%.

Looking forward to joining in here 😁

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Jelllibeanz Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello AMoT

Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck. Look forward to seeing how you get on. x
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Thanks Jellibeanz :)

I'm really eager to get started paying the mortgage off. We completed on the 27th March, and waiting for the first payment to come out on 25th April seems to be taking forever! I must say I find watching the interest increase every day in my online bank a bit alarming!

I skimmed my bank accounts today, just a few small amounts but it's adding up. With that and cash back I've got £264 saved so far towards the 1% overpayment - looking at the overpayment calculator, just paying 1% will take 2 months off the mortgage, so definitely worth doing, as well as the regular overpayment we'll be making each month.

I'm planning to sell some CDs, DVDs and books on Amazon, as I've had some success with that before. I might branch out into selling on ebay, though that seems a bit more daunting! I'm looking at maybe doing some part time work myself too, as it would really help us to pay the mortgage down more quickly. I'm planning on reducing our grocery spend too, I'm sure there's room for improvement there.

Lots to be thinking about!
  • Evening AMOT

Good look on your mf journey, who is your mortgage with that enables you to see it online?
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi AMOT :D looking forward to cheering you on throughout your mortgage free wannabe journey :)

Have you completed a statement of affairs template out? I found that fab for working out incomings & outgoings and also for where savingscan be made,
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Evening AMOT

Good look on your mf journey, who is your mortgage with that enables you to see it online?

Thanks Chris. My mortgage is with Nationwide. I have other accounts with them and have online banking. My mortgage shows up in my list of accounts with them, although not much to see as we've not made a payment yet!
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 April 2017 at 10:45AM
    Hi AMOT :D looking forward to cheering you on throughout your mortgage free wannabe journey :)

Have you completed a statement of affairs template out? I found that fab for working out incomings & outgoings and also for where savings can be made,

Thanks, Kittenkirst. I haven't done a statement of affairs yet.... not sure where the template is?

Aahh.. just editing to say I found it. Will do that, thanks!
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good luck in your journey!!! Grab yourself cup of tea, glass of wine or beer and just snoop over everyone's threads and get lots of ideas!
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Hi AMOT,

Just popping in to wish you luck on you MF journey!
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    Good luck AMOT. That's a really good regular overpayment amount.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2017 at 7:27PM
    Thanks for the welcome, all.

We're getting ready to go on holiday Friday and also to decorate the living room as soon as we get back, so life at the moment seems a hectic round of packing and moving furniture upstairs. The entire house is a muddle.

I tried to do a statement of affairs, but some of the categories differ from the way I organise my budget usually, and although the budget I have works out, I couldn't make it agree with the SOA version and after three hours I gave up. I'll try again when I've not got so much going on and maybe I'll be able to think straight!

We have around £13,000 as emergency funds. £11,000 of this is for dire situations such as Mr AMOT being made redundant, so don't intend to touch it, hopefully. The remaining £2,000 is for appliance breakdown, phone replacement etc and I hope we can add to this each month, £50-£100. I'm planning to save the emergency money in several current accounts and move money between them to satisfy the direct debit requirements, which was suggested to me on another board. I still have to get the logistics worked out.

Our house needs a lot of renovation, complete redecoration as well as a new kitchen and new windows and doors, so this will be ongoing for a long time. My parents have offered to lend us money for these projects, but even though it would be interest-free, I would rather not have any debt besides the mortgage. It will take us a loonng time to save up the necessary funds ourselves, though....and I am absolutely determined to overpay the mortgage to knock 4 years off the term, at least. I might think again about borrowing from the parents, I'll see how it goes.

So I'll be looking to see where I can reduce expenses. One area is definitely food, I'm spending about £100 a week for two adults. I know we can do better than that! My mission when we return from holiday will be to reduce our grocery spend. I also want to keep a spending diary for a month or two to see exactly where it all goes!

This seems to have been a bit of a brain dump of all the things whirling round in my brain at the moment! Hope you're still awake!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure