Old employer asking for a float to be paid back

Options
Hi wondering if anyone has advice I've received a letter from my employer that I left 2 years ago saying they have been going through record of floats and expenses and that I have an outstanding float of £50 that must be paid back with 14 days. I worked there for 2.5 years so we could be going back to nearly 5 years ago I can only think of a handful of times where cash was obtained to pay for valets on cars but a receipt was always handed in . How can they come back after 2 years for this and if there float cash was that unaudited that they are coming back over 2 years later how can I prove I handed a receipt in and they have lost it ? Thanks in advance any help would be appreciated

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Debts can be pursued for 6 years (5 in Scotland) so it sounds like they are within time to ask you for the money. Whether they will consider it worth taking any further for such a small sum, especially where there may be little proof that you do in fact owe it, may depend on how bloody minded they are. I'd probably ignore it until court papers arrive.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Tell them you cant remember owing and ask for a copy of whatever they have that indicates that you owe them money. They may have nothing.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have as float where I work but it has to be signed for and is then deducted from your last months pay when you leave.
    I'd ask for some more details. What was it for ? Do they have some proof etc. After so long I think its only fair they provide some evidence and asking for it to be paid within 14 days seems a bit cheeky if it took them 2 years to realise.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ask him to prove it. Also tell him that if this is an allegation of theft, then get the police involved and you will be pleased to assist with their enquiries. You'll never hear from him again.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Kgreg88
    Kgreg88 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Just had a reply to my email asking for proof of the float they have replied with a date of when it was issued 11/11/2013 but no actually proof just a again stating this must be paid within 14 days or the debt will be referred to an external credit agency. This is nearly 4 years ago if they can't even provide proof just a date how can they prove I never provided receipts. Their accounts must be in such a bad state that they are only chasing this up nearly 4 years later and I am sure I would have sent receipts in as I always did.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they aren't able to provide proof, simply give them a short response denying that any debt is owed and saying that you won't be paying as no proof has been provided.
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    they don't have any recourse here if they have no proof you owe it. i'm shocked they're wasting their time.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family