Worried about son's debts

Options

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, I think you might be right to have some concerns. You will know your son better than anyone else, and you'll know whether he's someone who is financially astute and can manage that debt, or someone living beyond his means where the debt may continue to rise. To me, its a bit six of one and half a dozen of the other. With that income, they can afford the debt, but with that income, you'd have thought they could afford not to get into debt? Suppose it depends what you are used to.
    I got into real debt trouble in 2005, but it really started 10 years before that. If my mum had known, and had a word a few years earlier, it may have stopped the downward cycle for me, I don't know. The difficulty is between having a concerned word, and interfering with his life. If as you say, he was embarrassed that you saw his debt, it does suggest that he may not necessarily be as at ease with it as he says. Then again if he owns his house with an affordable mortgage, and all things considered he is in a good situation, then it could look worse (for you) than it really is. On the other hand, there's always the unforeseen future e.g. redundancy, ill health etc. I think it is part of the job description of being a mum to worry, but approached in the right way I would have thought you could have a quiet word with him even if it's just to put your mind at ease.
  • Money_Rollercoaster
    Options
    motherTG wrote: »
    My son owes a lot more than you MR!!

Bah, rumbled ... :D
    174 BPM >> CC Balance (0%) -£3,565.99 - Target DFD Dec 2017 >> Loan (Car) (3.1%) -£19,803.74 - Target DFD Nov 2020
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to say that I would be worried like you OP. However, he does seem to have something to show for the debt like a car and possibly they have holidays abroad? If there was nothing to show for the debt and he was constantly broke then I would be worried and wanting to know what was going on.

I have tried to drum into my son to always be sensible and that debt is not a good thing but he is in his final year of Uni - so already has debt from that. WE have helped him and he still comes home in the holidays. Now will be the testing time when he goes out into the big world and gets and job and has to find accommodation etc.,
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • Heather2603
    Options
    I agree with your husband and would have the utter rage if I found my mum posting about me on a forum like this.
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    To add to Bigphil's comments above, as to whether their income might mean that they could afford not to get into debt, I think that depends on location to an extent. As someone who lives in one of the pricier parts of the country, £70k between them might be needed just for a 2 bed house with a good chunk going on mortgage payments; which might then mean that cars are financed. I mention this as we recently looked at moving to a cheaper part of the country (DH's potential posting in a couple of years time) and I can't get over the difference in house prices, I had no idea of the gap.

Anyway, personally I've never confessed to having any debt to my parents. I always thought they'd be horrified, and yes, I would be embarrassed, because they've not had credit card debt (though this is partly because it wasn't a thing when they were in their 20/30s!). I watched a programme last night in which the self confessed heavy credit card user said that she was of a generation whereby if she wanted it, she spent it on the card, and would deal with the consequences later. Hmmmm... as a fellow millennial I'm not sure I want to be tarred with that brush! I think the point to take away there is that how "bad" that figure is, is made up of the attitude towards it. Perhaps the OP can take some comfort in the fact that her son and daughter-in-law know how much debt they have, and they seem to be managing it wisely by taking a 0% card and paying it down? There are plenty of people out there who can't actually tell you what they owe, at what rate, and whether that's a good or bad "deal".
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are both right. You to be shocked by that level of debts from a couple who are earning a very good income and therefore have no reason to have accumulated such level of debt.

Unfortunately, your husband is right, it is quite common nowadays and therefore de-dramatised....until someone loses their job, or separate, or become ill, something that young people rarely factor in their near future.

Your husband is right that it has nothing to do with you. You've done your bit raising your child showing a good example and teaching him right. It is now his life, his risks, his potential mistake, or hopefully, his lesson to learn before it becomes a problem. Don't mention it again.
  • motherTG
    motherTG Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.... I am afraid that I have already spoken to him about earlier today. He drops his son at my house on Friday lunchtimes as I do some childcare for them.

I tried to be calm but told him that I was worried about the debt and that I had no idea that they were in such a large amount of debt. He was embarrassed but did open up to me about it. He explained that they had got themselves into a lot of credit card and loan debt up into their late twenties and had been sorting it out for the last couple of years. Apparently they used to owe quite a bit MORE. I did ask him how much but he wouldn't put a figure on it. He said that although the debts are high, it's under control and they are overpaying with a view to being debt free in 3-4 years. It is also joint debt, so not all in his name. He said they prefer to keep the bulk of it on credit cards as they can get 0% deals which I suppose makes sense.

I feel better now I have spoken to him. I have also spent a lot of time reading stories on here so I can see that 35K is not uncommon in this day and age - it's just a different world to how I have lived. We have never had much money but have always paid for things as we bought them.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,972 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    motherTG wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice....

I feel better now I have spoken to him. it's just a different world to how I have lived. We have never had much money but have always paid for things as we bought them.

And a return to that world, along with its values, would not be a bad thing.

Alas I doubt it will happen.........
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • motherTG
    Options
    My son has spoken to me about it again. I think he just feels embarrassed although he doesn't need to. I'm not disappointed in him, just worried. It appears that they have actually reduced their debt by about 15k over the last couple of years so I do believe that they have it under control. This site has been a real eye opener into the amounts of debt that people carry.
  • moneyfacts
    Options
    I disagree with your husband in that it is sort of your business as he is your son. Sometimes people need advice and help even when they don't ask for it.

It's very promising that your son is embarrassed by it and appreciates that it's not "normal and ok". I'm not sure what the UK average is, but £35k is an awful amount of debt.

You may have done your son a big favour by opening his eyes a little and there is no harm in asking him how things are going in a few months time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure