PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

unscented fabric conditioner

Options
I dont use fabric conditioner as my son won't wear the clothes due to the smell (I dont like it much either)

He also never wears clothes when he can get away with it due to the feeling of them, I think it would help him if they were softer (ie I used fabric conditioner)

Therefore am looking for a fabric conditioner that doesn't smell. Whilst unscented products do not smell of flowers/sea breeze etc in my experience they still smell.

Can anyone recommend anything to make the clothes softer with no smell.

Thanks

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    How about something like this one?

http://www.ecoverdirect.com/products/zero-fabric-conditioner-750ml/ezerofab750ml.aspx?productid=ezerofab750ml

Or simply stick a cup of white vinegar in your wash,it soften clothes with no fragrance....promise you won't smell like a fish n chip shop
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 March 2017 at 11:31PM
    Options
    I have heard about using vinegar before but it has such a strong smell I am not sure I trust that the clothes don't smell my son has a very good sense of smell and a vinegar smell will be worse for him than a traditional fabric conditioner smell, he also suffers from eczema so not sure how vinegar will effect this.

However there is only one way to find out, I will give it a trial, thanks
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use vinegar when washing towels as I was told fabric conditioner effects their absorbency and I have not experienced any smell.

I used to use Ecover when we lived in an area off Mains drainage and it was really good, if a little expensive.

Hope you sort something out, might be worth trying an item with the vinegar and see how it goes :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vinegar

White vinegar.

I buy the gallon jar and just use a cap full. Yes you will smell it when the clothes first come out of the machine but it goes as they dry

Vinegar won't affect his skin like fabric conditioners will. Also if you are using tabs or those jelly things for washing, then stop. Use powder. You only need a small amount, I never use more the half a cap. DH is a manual worker, his clothes are filthy, yet half a cap of powder and a hot wash and they come clean
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been using vinegar in place of fabric conditioner for years. The main reason for doing so was due to me having eczema, as it removes any soap residue from the washing. I used to only be able to use certain washing powder/liquid products and no biological at all. Find that I can use practically anything now including bio products, so long as I use vinegar. Unfortunately, it hasn't cleared up my eczema problem! It's certainly worth a try. The other bonus is that it's better for your washing machine than fabric conditioner.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too am a great believer in white vinegar and have used it for years I cannot abide the smell of vinegar at all it makes me heave, but when you use it in your machine. your clothes barely smell of it and as they dry, any slight smell vanishes

I use half the amount of soap powder recommended and a handful of ordinary soda crystals in my washing machine ( about 60p a box from Boots) and top the section where the conditioner should go up with ordinary white vinegar and bobs your uncle .

My washing machine drawer never gets that gungy gloopy stuff stuck in there,and the machine looks sparkling clean all the time.

All my washing gets line dried as I don't own or ever wanted a tumble dryer.Now and again I will do a boil wash of white stuff and use exactly the same ratio of soda crystals and washing powder with a good top up of vinegar and my machine is always very clean and fresh.A small bottle from the supermarkets costs about 45p for 500mls I would love to buy a gallon but no where near me sells it at that size. Saves a fortune on buying those horrible smelling conditioners which are full of chemicals and strange sounding chemical smells.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,047 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep - vinegar all the way here too. No after smell, soft clothes and clean machine.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    White vinegar every time. The strong residual smell of fabric conditioner on people's clothes actually makes me want to heave.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use a small amount of fabcon and never really notice any smell at all afterwards. I use vinegar for towels (or anything else that I want to stay absorbent) and never notice the smell after that, either.

Maybe some of you are just using far too much fabcon? I use about a quarter or a third of a capful each time, no more. But I never really noticed any smell when I was using closer to the 'recommended amounts'.

Having said that, I remain to be convinced that it actually does anything. I don't know, for example, what effect I am looking for, nor how I would know if I had achieved it! Maybe I should just stop using it altogether?
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another advocate for white vinegar. I have a very good sense of smell, and the fabcon scents make me feel queasy. Add to this the fact that Mr LW refuses to have his clothes smelling "girly" (his word). :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure