County Court Claim Form - MBNA/Aktiv/PRA

Options
Hello all,
Please help! I have received a Claim Form for a debt which I defaulted on in 2010. The debt was on a credit card for £7600 with MBNA. I tried to negotiate with them at the time until I got myself back on my feet. Since then the debt has been passed to Aktiv Kapital in 2012 and now to PRA in 2014. Since then I have paid them £1 a month so I believe this does not make the debt statute barred as this is seen as me admitting to the debt - is that correct? Although the £1 was going to MBNA so I don't know if its actually going to PRA.

The claim form is saying that the debt was assigned to PRA in 2014 and that since then I have paid them £1300 - which I have not!

My situation is that I am a single parent, working but receiving benefits.

I need to respond by Monday. I need to know if it worth me sending a CCA letter to PRA if I have been paying £1 a month? I actually had a County Court form a few years ago, I responded saying I did not recognise the debt and could not afford anything anyway as I was receiving tax credits. I never heard anything again and did not receive a CCJ. However, Im thinking that I was probably just lucky..

Im really trying to get my finances in order now so could really do without a CCJ - any advice would be great appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    You should acknowledge the claim online before Monday. Tick 'defend in full' - this buys another 14 days to sort something out even if you do not eventually defend.

You've lost a couple of weeks here but never mind. Hop over to

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Received-a-Court-Claim

and post there - also take their advice to :
    1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
    You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form - this will extend the time you have to respond to the claim to 28 days from when you received it

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT
    This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS
    This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely) You can include a copy of your CCA request with this letter for information.
  • sidewayslook
    Options
    Thank you so much for quick response - Ill jump on this now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure