Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 25th Sep 07, 10:28 PM
    • 7,761Posts
    • 18,056Thanks
    chevalier
    Children under 4? On benefits? Free milk and Veg?
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:28 PM
    Children under 4? On benefits? Free milk and Veg? 25th Sep 07 at 10:28 PM
    With thanks to Welshdeedee on the freebies board. There is a government scheme that has replaced the old milk token you used to be able to get if you were on a low income. It is called healthy start. You can get £2.80 a week token for fruit and veg and milk.

Here is the link

http://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/

I put in some dummy details and if you had 2 children under 4 and 1 under 1 and were getting child tax credit (but not working tax credit), then it was about £8 worth of vouchers!

Hope this helps someone, and if it does, please take the time to give welshdeedee a thank you on their thread on the freebies board
    chev

Also read the full: Benefits Check-up, ensure you get what you're entitled to article.

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 02-10-2007 at 8:00 PM.
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
Page 1
  • doodledo
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:46 PM
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:46 PM
    Good post not for me but I bet lots of people on here are entitled.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST
    Racing Hypno to Save - 10/5000
  • redpoison
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:53 PM
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:53 PM
    I was very shocked when my friend applied..

she used to get enough tokens for her babys formula 8 years ago.. then when she got pregnant last year she got 2.80 tokens for her fruit/veg/milk.. she let them know she had another daughter december then she got a book of tokens for 2.80 up untill feb.. then she had no more she contacted them signed more forms sent off heared nothing rang them sent more forms signed them heared nothing rang them and is still waiting to hear again all this since feb... and shes only on income support loan parent.. just isnt fair bless her.. her baby is now 9 mnths old same age as mine... we know someone who gets more money than her has 2 kids same as us and she gets 6 tokens...
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 25th Sep 07, 10:59 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    chevalier
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:59 PM
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:59 PM
    Thanks for the red, that must be really annoying. I hope it helps someone, as I know there are several people on this board with small children and on benefits, who may not venture to other forums yet
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 26th Sep 07, 9:59 AM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    chevalier
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:59 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:59 AM
    Just a shameless bump in case anyone missed it yesterday
    chev
  • rayday2
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:04 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:04 AM
    Its a handy post and hope someone gets the money but gowd the government have they not worked out that fruit and veg are acutally the cheapest part of our diets its the frozen pizza and ready meals that cost the most!
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 26th Sep 07, 10:09 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:09 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:09 AM
    We don't qualify. Although we have a family income under 14k and 2 under 4's we don't qualify because we get working tax credit.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • JET34
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:38 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:38 AM
    I got these while I was on maternity leave and claiming all of £17.45 in income support I think I got 2 a week cause he was under a year they came in really handy!! and as I breastfed we got loads of fruit and veg!!
    DEBT FREE 23/FEB/07 TWO YEAR's!! 2 1020.00 Banked New total 268+ and counting SAVINGS 3000.00- ISA 30.
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 26th Sep 07, 10:49 AM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    chevalier
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:49 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:49 AM
    Sorry to hear you don't qualify IA. Is pretty daft isn't it that you don't. Jet glad to see you were able to get them.
    chev
  • trying-very-trying
    Its a handy post and hope someone gets the money but gowd the government have they not worked out that fruit and veg are acutally the cheapest part of our diets its the frozen pizza and ready meals that cost the most!
    Originally posted by rayday2
    , so that's why I noticed a sign in farmfoods today,stating that they accept these tokens among others, so you could use them on your frozen pizzas and ready meals. I had never heard of them.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• suzywong666
    We don't qualify either for exactly the same reason as immoral_angelUK (except only 1 child under 4). Shame
    • Kenzer
    • By Kenzer 3rd Oct 07, 6:51 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Kenzer
    We don't qualify. Although we have a family income under 14k and 2 under 4's we don't qualify because we get working tax credit.
    Originally posted by immoral_angeluk
    Unfortunately we don't qualify either. Family income less than 13k and 3 young 'uns. Not entitled to free scool meals either because of the same reason.:confused:
  • PEPPERPOT
    Dont understand why low income families that get working tax credit cant get these vouchers. We have an now have an income less than 15k which should entitle us ,but tax credits gave us 17 pounds a week working tax credit (which we've never had before) this means we cant claim free school meals and the healthy start vouchers which would be more than the 17 pounds
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,684Users online

Martin's Twitter