Children under 4? On benefits? Free milk and Veg?

With thanks to Welshdeedee on the freebies board. There is a government scheme that has replaced the old milk token you used to be able to get if you were on a low income. It is called healthy start. You can get £2.80 a week token for fruit and veg and milk.

Here is the link

http://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/

I put in some dummy details and if you had 2 children under 4 and 1 under 1 and were getting child tax credit (but not working tax credit), then it was about £8 worth of vouchers!:D

Hope this helps someone, and if it does, please take the time to give welshdeedee a thank you on their thread on the freebies board
chev

Also read the full: Benefits Check-up, ensure you get what you're entitled to article.

threadbanner.gif
I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?

Comments

• Good post :T not for me but I bet lots of people on here are entitled.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST :D
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
  • I was very shocked when my friend applied..

she used to get enough tokens for her babys formula 8 years ago.. then when she got pregnant last year she got £2.80 tokens for her fruit/veg/milk.. she let them know she had another daughter december then she got a book of tokens for £2.80 up untill feb.. then she had no more she contacted them signed more forms sent off heared nothing rang them sent more forms signed them heared nothing rang them and is still waiting to hear again all this since feb... and shes only on income support loan parent.. just isnt fair bless her.. her baby is now 9 mnths old same age as mine... we know someone who gets more money than her has 2 kids same as us and she gets £6 tokens...
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the red, that must be really annoying. I hope it helps someone, as I know there are several people on this board with small children and on benefits, who may not venture to other forums yet
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • chevalier
    Just a shameless bump in case anyone missed it yesterday
    chev
  • rayday2
    rayday2 Posts: 3,960 Forumite
    Its a handy post and hope someone gets the money but gowd the government have they not worked out that fruit and veg are acutally the cheapest part of our diets its the frozen pizza and ready meals that cost the most!
  • We don't qualify. Although we have a family income under 14k and 2 under 4's we don't qualify because we get working tax credit.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • JET34
    JET34 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    I got these while I was on maternity leave and claiming all of £17.45 in income support I think I got 2 a week cause he was under a year they came in really handy!! and as I breastfed we got loads of fruit and veg!!
    DEBT FREE 23/FEB/07 TWO YEAR's!! £2 £1020.00 Banked New total £268+ and counting SAVINGS 3000.00- ISA £30. :j
  • chevalier
    Sorry to hear you don't qualify IA. Is pretty daft isn't it that you don't. Jet glad to see you were able to get them.
    chev
  • rayday2 wrote: »
    Its a handy post and hope someone gets the money but gowd the government have they not worked out that fruit and veg are acutally the cheapest part of our diets its the frozen pizza and ready meals that cost the most!

:rotfl:, so that's why I noticed a sign in farmfoods today,stating that they accept these tokens among others, so you could use them on your frozen pizzas and ready meals. I had never heard of them.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• We don't qualify either for exactly the same reason as immoral_angelUK (except only 1 child under 4). Shame :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure