Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • kethry
    • 25th Sep 07, 5:07 PM
    • 25th Sep 07, 5:07 PM
    I know you can use cold tea or orange juice to soak the fruit in for the initial stage, i've seen a few recipes that do it that way. I'd imagine some nice tea like earl grey might be nice, flavourwise. I don't know about actually pouring OJ/tea over it weekly, though, in the way that you do with brandy, feeding it. The reason that works is that the alcohol and sugar content keep bugs from feeding on the cake (i.e. prevents it going off). that wouldn't work with the tea or OJ. It could be that you'll have to settle for making a cake much nearer christmas so it doesn't have the time to go off.

google has lots of recipes, although i appreciate you were looking for one that's been tried n tested. I did check both nigella and delia and couldn't see anything suitable there.

hope someone else comes up with something, and sorry i couldn't help any further..

keth
    xx
  • potsofmoney (I wish)
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:34 PM
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:34 PM
    I didn't know about the time issue, so making it a bit nearer the time will work out better for me. Thanks for the reply I shall go in search of recipes>
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 25th Sep 07, 10:39 PM
    • 67,437 Posts
    • 395,119 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:39 PM
    • 25th Sep 07, 10:39 PM
    Delia Smith suggests orange juice or apple juice.

This is copied from her "How to Make a Christmas Cake"

Several times before Christmas you can 'feed' your cake.
    Make small holes in the top and base of the cake with a cocktail stick or small skewer, then spoon over a few teaspoons of brandy.

I get a number of letters from people who never touch alcohol, so let me say that freshly squeezed orange juice can be substituted for the booze in the recipe.

I like to wrap the cake in a double layer of silicone paper, then in double foil, before storing it in an airtight container.

Hope that helps.
  • mambury
    • 14th Nov 09, 4:15 PM
    no alcohol xmas cake advice please.....
    • 14th Nov 09, 4:15 PM
    HI,

I have made some mini xmas cakes and have started feeding them to give as gifts to friends etc this year but stupidly forgot that two of these friends can;t have any alcohol at all (one with a liver condition and one a recovering alcoholic so even the flavour would not be a good idea). I've been searching and searching but can't find any reference on feeding the cake with fruit juice, I;m sure I read it somewhere here recently.

Can anyone help? What fruit juice is best and should I do it in the same amounts as I am with my boozy cakes? Do they keep as well???

Thanks in advance

Mambury
    sealed pot challange #572!
    Garden fund - 0!!
    0/10k
    • Mummy Jo
    • By Mummy Jo 14th Nov 09, 4:28 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Mummy Jo
    • 14th Nov 09, 4:28 PM
    • 14th Nov 09, 4:28 PM
    You don't HAVE to "feed" the cakes at all. As long as they don't dry out they should be fine. It may be that you bake the cakes for these two friends closer to the time.

Did you soak the fruit in Brandy (or other alcohol) before cooking too?
  • sunflower76
    • 14th Nov 09, 4:53 PM
    • 14th Nov 09, 4:53 PM
    I've replaced the brandy / rum used for soaking the fruit with fruit juice and then didn't feed the cake after cooking. I made it a lot nearer Christmas if I remember correctly.
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 14th Nov 09, 6:42 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    • 14th Nov 09, 6:42 PM
    • 14th Nov 09, 6:42 PM
    Hi

My mum makes a rich fruit cake which she never feeds and its still great.
    As she points out if you have a slice of boozy christmas cake plus an alcholic drink they could easily be over the limit without realising it. People don't expect to get sozzled on cake !

Jen
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 14th Nov 09, 7:31 PM
    • 9,454 Posts
    • 61,495 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    • 14th Nov 09, 7:31 PM
    • 14th Nov 09, 7:31 PM
    You can also soak fruit in tea before putting in a fruit cake.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • troll35
    • By troll35 14th Nov 09, 8:37 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    if you have a slice of boozy christmas cake plus an alcholic drink they could easily be over the limit without realising it.
    I'm sure I have read somewhere that by the time you get to christmas the alcohol used to feed a christmas cake has evaporated leaving only the flavour behind....unless you're feeding it right up until Christmas eve that is

As others have said as long as the cake is kept in a decent container it shouldn't need feeding, however saying that you have made mini cakes and so these will be more prone to drying out than much larger cakes. With the mini cakes I would be tempted to cover them with marzipan and icing a bit sooner than I would a bigger cake. That way you will seal in the moisture to a large degree. Hope that makes sense.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 14th Nov 09, 10:00 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    DianneB
    A rich christmas cake will keep well without alcohol, all that sugar!! wrap it well putting a couple of layers of greaseproof paper on before tin foil and store in a container till you are ready to marzipan and ice. Don't put tinfoil straight onto a christmas cake or pudding as the acid in the fruit reacts with the foil.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 15th Nov 09, 12:10 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Orange juice or apple juice is good for a non alcoholic cake just soak the fruit as you would do with alcohol and feed with a little juice as well.
    I add a few prunes to my christmas cakes and this helps to keep them lovely and moist
    • jenster
    • By jenster 15th Nov 09, 7:31 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    jenster
    Hi

My mum makes a rich fruit cake which she never feeds and its still great.
    As she points out if you have a slice of boozy christmas cake plus an alcholic drink they could easily be over the limit without realising it. People don't expect to get sozzled on cake !

Jen
    Originally posted by sooty&sweep
    i knew of someone that happened too -- they had boosy xmas cake and got stopped when driving they wernt over the limit but was close too -- and thats all they had -- so pls be careful
    • Mummy Jo
    • By Mummy Jo 15th Nov 09, 9:49 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Mummy Jo
    I make cakes as a hobby and I have made a few fruit cakes as wedding/anniversary cakes over the years. I did attend classes on sugarcraft and one of the things they did teach us was how to store a cake.

Double wrap it in greaseproof paper so that the air can not get in. As DianneB says don't wrap just in tin foil. Be careful about storing it as they can sweat in tupperware containers. I keep mine in boxes. Don't keep them in the fridge!

Good Luck with it all and I hope everyone enjoys their cakes!
  • mambury
    fab fab fab!! You lot are brilliant!

Next question, if I make them this week with no booze, do you think icing them this week will keep them for xmas???

Ta
    Mambury
    Garden fund - 0!!
    0/10k
    • Mummy Jo
    • By Mummy Jo 15th Nov 09, 7:40 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Mummy Jo
    No problem!

Cover them with marzipan and leave it for at least 24 hours to dry out a little - don't worry if you leave it a little longer. Then cover with icing - royal or sugarpaste it is up to you but once it is sealed it should be fine.

Hope it turns out well!

Jo
    • Dustykitten
    • By Dustykitten 9th Dec 09, 11:31 AM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 281,332 Thanks
    Dustykitten
    About to make a christmas cake for the first time - do I have to soak the fruit? I've got Brandy but I'm not keen on Brandy. Tea sounds good? Does fruit juice make the cake taste orangey (yuck) or appley?
    Last edited by Dustykitten; 09-12-2009 at 3:00 PM.

The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • SallyForth
    About to make a christmas cake for the first time - do I have to soak the fruit? I've got Brandy but I'm not keen on Brady. Tea sounds good? Does fruit juice make the cake taste orangey (yuck) or appley?
    Originally posted by Dustykitten

If you are soaking the dried fruit in the juice, the orangey, or appley flavour won't be very distinct. However, another poster mentioned prune juice, now that has got me thinking, that would work quite well as it is more similar in flavour to the other fruit ingredients, and I think would blend in quite nicely.
  • mambury
    I used a mixture of tea, lemon and orange (freshly squeezed!) and citrus peel to soak the fruit and it smelt yum, yum!!
    Garden fund - 0!!
    0/10k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,947Posts Today

7,959Users online

Martin's Twitter