£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :hello: TOPM, well done on not spending on snacks etc whilst travelling by train. :T I always seem to spend a fortune on cups of tea & snacks down to not being organised enought to bring things with me.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 February 2017 at 1:10PM
    Options
    Phew, this thread moves so fast I can barely keep up. You are very focused treading, v impressive.:)

I'm wondering if i should learn to knit. To keep my hands from being used to shovel food into my face all the time.:D
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    boxofpaws wrote: »

I'm wondering if i should learn to knit. To keep my hands from being used to shovel food into my face all the time.:D

:rotfl:

In my case BoP, its drinking :beer:

Party at TOPM's later?? We could do a double act! :rotfl:
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just read your diary and I'm looking forward to reading more. I feel so positive for you. The feeling of having no more debt is amazing, the freedom you will have, no more sleepless nights because of debit, it's just amazing.

Well done on what you have achieved so far.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    It's so lovely to be back home with DH and the children - good reminder that the really important things in life, like time with family, cost absolutely nothing.

Have balanced the budgets and really pleased to see that the last couple of little overpayments this week have knocked another month off the DFD. Overpayment this month stands at £369.44 so far. Will have to make a note of how it stands at the very end of the month and set it as a benchmark to try to beat one day.

To do today:
    1. It won't be a NSD, but will limit spending to buying a birthday present for the kids party one of my children is attending tomorrow. Done!
    2. Pack snacks and water for train journey. Done! Pleased to have all that travel time behind me.
    3. Work on the hat I have been knitting since Christmas. Done! Not quite finished, but only about half an hour's more before it's done.
    4. Start next week's menu plan. Done, and have input into MySupermarket. Currently standing at £75, which is the absolute maximum it can be given our new food budget, so I'm going to try to knock £10 off that so there’s a little bit of wiggle room later in the month if necessary. Never have I been so pleased to be 99% vegetarian!
    5. Spend two hours on house tidying. Erm. No. I have mainly sat and drank tea and caught up with MSE diaries since getting home.
    6. Make pasties for packed lunch tomorrow (National Trust house visit). Not done, but we have also decided not to go to Nat Trust house but just have a chill out morning, so will make them tomorrow to have for lunch at home.

To do this week:
    1. Sit down as a family (we have a weekly family meeting on a Monday, this seems a good time) and come up with ways to reduce water usage. Done!
    2. Look for paper/online copy of washing machine manual to see which cycle uses least water/energy, as part of an ongoing mission to reduce costs of both. Done!
    3. Log into ee - our last two bills have been c.£91, which is even more ridiculous than the £85 contract fee, so we’re clearly overspending somewhere. Done, and lightly horrified to see that our bills are actually £89.75, not £85. That's a crapload of money on mobile phones.
    4. Find out how much preschool bill is for this month and pay it - they seem terrible at giving out invoices and I don’t want to inadvertently get into arrears! Done! Annoyingly higher than expected, but not horribly so.
    5. Ask at school whether there is dressing up for world book day. UPDATE: there is dressing up, so will need to tackle this when I get home tomorrow.
    6. Put all insurance renewal dates into calendar in advance so I have time to search for better deals. Done!
    7. Put a date in the calendar to reassess gas and electricity usage/DD. Done!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • mummytogirls
    Options
    Well done on the overpayments TOPM :j xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As Dorothy put it " there's no place like home"
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Go as Burglar Bill - dressing up. Black/White striped t-shirt, dark trousers, get a mask for £1.99 from eBay and fill an old bag sack full of pillowcases etc. Oh and find a flat cap.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done ToP, another month knocked off your dfd, impressive!
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 3: Day 1

Woohoo, We’re into week 3! I’m excited to have a fresh week underway, especially since it will also include the start of a new month and a clean budgeting slate.

No work at all today, for the first day in ages (because I work around DH’s job, I usually do an hour or two pretty much every day, but we try to book in some weekends with no work at all). So I’ve tried to stop my list being too taxing as well!

To do today:
    1. Play around with the menu plan to knock at least £5, preferably £10, off the food shopping for next week on MySupermarket.
    2. NSD
    3. Finish knitting the hat.
    4. Tidy the house. I think I have failed on this every day this week!
    5. Plan world book day costumes now that we know dressing up is on the cards.
    6. Apply for a refund on train tickets from last week's delay.

To do this week:
    1. During our family meeting, focus on ways to save electricity, after the success of last week’s ‘how to save water’ chat.
    2. Plan out March working time.
    3. Update YNAB for March once we get to the 1st.
    4. Sit down with DH once we get into March and chat through current budget situation, so he can see how much positive effect there is from the budget changes we have made.

I’m sure I'll add to the week’s list as I get stuff done, but I’m feeling so chilled out this morning that it’s hard to think of very much I want to achieve!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback